zfs recv of a zvol from Solaris

KernelPanic

Dabbler
zrep - ZFS send/recv a ZVOL from Nexenta or Solaris to Freenas will crash Freenas.

Attempting to ZFS Send a zvol from Nexenta, Solaris or OpenSolaris - kernel page faults Freenas 11.2 - and forces a reboot.

Fatal trap12: page fault while in kernel mode - see screenshot.

The underlying Solaris bug is described here:
https://hardforum.com/threads/zrep-incompatibility-problem-with-openindiana.1726951/
And originally from here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.unix.solaris/-5bcZFInozk

Is there a freenas bug for this? A simple zfs send / recv shouldnt be able to take down my system....

Attachments

• freenasfault.png
    freenasfault.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 315

KernelPanic

Dabbler
Ive tested it on 2 systems, 11.2U4 and 11.2U5. Its not a hardware thing. (intel xeons, 64GB ram, LSI2008 controllers, one all SAS drives, the other all SATA)

I believe its something to do with the ZFS options that get sent with the zfs send - Ive fired up a test instance to work out exactly which options it is - hopefully by later in the week I'll be able to isolate it to a simple test case.

Arwen

MVP
What is the pool version of Solaris?

Keep in mind that ZFS on Solaris is different beginning with pool version 29, (28 is the last common pool version between ZFS on Solaris and OpenZFS on FreeBSD/NAS). This may make a difference with ZFS send and receive.

I think Oracle Solaris is now up to pool version 37. While OpenZFS started using feature flags that you can selectively enable, (so it's pool version is 28 / 5000).

Jatrabari

Contributor
I used straight zfs send receive command to migrate my data from Nexenta to FreeNAS 11.2 over LAN without a problem. Info is in my build thread post here. The only thing that came up is that FreeNAS alerted that the zfs file system version was old.

Last edited:

KernelPanic

Dabbler
Its only an old nexenta 4.4 system, so its using feature flags, but certainly isnt up around 37 or 38. I dont have a current oracle solaris system to test it on..

So far what testing has found:
A straight zfs send | recv of a zvol works fine.
Sending the zvol with options appears to be what kills it - which is extremely similar to the bug report first linked.

KernelPanic

Dabbler
OK, more details...
It Doesnt seem to trigger on 11.2U5, but certainly does on 11.2U4. Maybe there was a fix in there?
Its definitely related to zfs send | recv with properties included - sends without properties all work fine - however, if the issue is fixed in U5, then theres no point me investigating further.