ZFS Pool Resilvered, Upon Reboot forgets new drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSC2

Dabbler
I thought I made my pools 4K when I originally created them. I guess not :-/. I think I will buy an extra drive to back up from the degraded pool, then recreate the pool.

As for destroying the pool and recreating it, I assume I can do it all through the GUI this time around. Is there an option for ashift, and/or a checkbox for 4K through the GUI, or do I need to use the console to create the pool?

Thanks for looking at this again!

paleoN

Wizard
As for destroying the pool and recreating it, I assume I can do it all through the GUI this time around.
Yes, it can all be done via the GUI. All new pools default to 4K, ashift=12, in FreeNAS 9.1 & later even with 512b drives. Unless you change the sysctls beforehand.

Thanks for looking at this again!
Aside from my poor reading comprehension, no problem.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
paleoN, that's not true. http://support.freenas.org/ticket/2404

4k is used if ALL of the drives in a vdev report themselves as 4k or if they report themselves as 512-bytes but it is known to be wrong.

If even 1 of your drives doesn't fall into that cartegory, then you will end up with an ashift 9. I was a little disappointed(hence my ticket 5 weeks ago). I would have preferred that ashift=12 be the default.. but it didn't make it into final. I knew there would be a lot of people with problems, and there has been. But that's life I guess.

My advice is to verify that your ashift=12 before you fill it with data. If it doesn't work my advice is to either create the pool manually or use an 8.3.1 installation temporarily to create your zpool. With all of the issues with 9.1 I actually have an 8.3.1 and 9.1 USB keys and I kept my pools in the old v28 format.

I had a long discussion with delphij in IRC over this issue because I was a little upset that the forced 4k sector option was removed in 9.1, which surely is going to bite a lot of people in the arse now(for those that notice it) and later for the rest of the people that try to be "forward thinkers" but haven't noticed that they aren't optimally configured with the newer 4k sector drives.

paleoN

Wizard
I... that's disappointing. Now I'm not even sure why I decided that. Thanks.

If even 1 of your drives doesn't fall into that cartegory, then you will end up with an ashift 9.
Yes, I would consider this completely backward. If any device is considered 4K then it should use ashift=12. Given the disk replacement logic this seems to be a bug.

If it doesn't work my advice is to either create the pool manually or use an 8.3.1 installation temporarily to create your zpool.
+1

GregSC2

Dabbler
zdb -e twoterrorbyte | grep ashift

I will use this command to determine whether or not the new pool I create has an ashift of 12. My current zpools are showing an ashift of 9 which makes sense. Hopefully 9.1.0 recognizes my WD greens as 4k despite their 512 emulation.

I will update this thread hopefully tomorrow after I back up everything to the drive I receive in the mail. Thanks guys!

GregSC2

Dabbler
Quick update. Moved all of the data to an intermediary hard drive and created a new zpool using FreeNAS 9.1.0. The pool was successfully created as healthy and with an ashift of 12.

Restarted the system, swapped drives around to different sata ports etc, and the pools all functioned properly. I was definitely running into uses because FreeNAS 7/8 were not using the gpt names for the zpools.

I am currently copying all of the data back over from the intermediary hard drive and all is well.

Moral of the story is stick to the FreeNAS version you created the pool with if you want 100% reliability.

Thanks again everyone for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.