zfs hanging on attempted drive replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jyb3

Dabbler
Well the all GUI attempt was consistent with the CLI attempt. I will not allow me to replace my 500GB offline drive with a 1TB drive.

Code:
Jan 28 09:39:16 freenas1 manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: Disk replacement failed: "cannot replace 12078812926281699680 with gptid/f64f3a33-8829-11e3-8099-0026b980c749: devices have different sector alignment, "]

I still have vfs.zfs.vdev.larger_ashift_minimal=0.

Dusan: I am not sure if it is the same or not, as I would not have tried the DETACH before I REPLACED. Given my pool, do you have a way I can test it out if I move back to 9.2?

Dusan

Guru
Dusan: I am not sure if it is the same or not, as I would not have tried the DETACH before I REPLACED. Given my pool, do you have a way I can test it out if I move back to 9.2?
You do not need to do detach before replace -- it would not even work as when you detach there is nothing to replace. However, you could simulate a replace by doing zpool attach and zpool detach (it is not exactly the same, but lot of the code that runs is the same). If you want to try it just run "zpool detach <pool_name> <device_name>" but only if you do not care about the data in the pool.

toadman

Guru
Dusan, just ran across your bug post independently actually. Glad you were able to reproduce.

jyb, FYI - In my case after taking the drive to be replaced offline, I then tried to detatch. Hung. At that point I figured "heck, go ahead and stick the new disk on the mirror to at least resilver and get the redundancy back." So I tried an attach. Hung.

toadman

Guru
Apparently there is a fix now for bug #4037. Hopefully that will also address this issue (seems similar enough that it may be the same root cause).

jyb3

Dabbler
I intend to try it to see if it fixes my issue. I don't know if I should try a nightly build or wait for 9.2.1-RELEASE.

jyb3

Dabbler
So it appears that 9.2.1-RELEASE fixed my problem. I was able to update to it, and swap out the drive (replacing a 500GB with a 1TB drive) with out it hanging up. I believe it was bug 4037.

Status
Not open for further replies.