ZFS Encryption: Reboot yields locked volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianJM

Cadet
I am new to FreeNAS, so please forgive me if this is a silly question.

I have setup a ZFS RAID1 volume with encryption. After a reboot, the volume is locked and must be unlocked with a key/passphrase. I have been running the setup for several days and gone through several reboots, and I don't recall having to unlock the disk until today. Is this expected behavior? Why is the volume not unlocked upon reboot?

EDIT: I have also seemed to have lost my AFP shares, but this is less of a concern at the moment.

The FreeNAS build is FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 (r12686+b770da6_dirty).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes, you need to unlock it. If someone steals your system and takes it home, you don't really want them getting access. That's kind of the point of the encryption.

BrianJM

Cadet
I knew that was a dumb question - every other full-disk encryption mechanism I've worked with in the past requires unlocking the device on boot. I must have had a memory lapse in regards to having to perform this operation prior to today. Thank you for clarifying.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Not a problem. There is probably a use case for automatically entering the encryption key upon startup, but it is probably not generally advisable and in my opinion someone should have to actually work at making that happen.

D

dlavigne

The Upgrade, Reboot, and Shutdown sections of the docs now describe how to unlock a volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.