FreeNAS vols stuck in 'Locked' mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamt31

Cadet
I'm running 'FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64 (80c1d35)'
Supermicro MDB-A1SAi-2750F-O with the onboard Intel Atom 16GB ECC

I've been using this for over 2 months with no issue, no problems. Since the proc supports hdw aes I encrypted it. Now I know for a fact that I've rebooted this box a few times since I installed it.

Today for the first time both zvols showed up as 'Locked'

All I did was shutdown gracefully, move the switch it was plugged into and change the network cable. After it came up, I didn't check the storage, I tried to setup the static IP on my router which never worked I think because the mac was off by one digit. I fixed it, rebooted it again and the IP worked. I went to check the storage and found it locked. The first time I gave it the recovery key file and password and both of them unlocked. But I was curious why they locked since it's never happened before. So I rebooted again.

Now I'm stuck, neither volume will unlock even though I've got the recovery key and the password...

I've since changed the IP back and tried again, still cannot get in... How do I fix this?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
They should always lock on reboot if you've downloaded a recovery key and such. Note that if you are providing a recovery key then no password is required. Only the key requires the password. ;)

williamt31

Cadet
They should always lock on reboot if you've downloaded a recovery key and such. Note that if you are providing a recovery key then no password is required. Only the key requires the password. ;)

sh!t, yeah, I must have tried that once before the reboot. You're right, that worked, thanks.. What's the difference be the geli.key and geli_recovery.key? I have two for each zvol?

I still maintain that I've rebooted several times and never had to unlock the them.. oh well, I'll have read up in the manual on encryption, hopefully it'll clarify some stuff. http://web.freenas.org/images/resources/freenas9.2.1/freenas9.2.1_guide.pdf doesn't really say much about locked drives

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The recovery key requires no password. The key itself is only 1/2 of what you need to unlock the geli device (the other half being the password itself).

Status
Not open for further replies.