Cannot access Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stal00se

Dabbler
Sorry, I cannot figure out what you mean by Or even better in the gui download the debug file system -> advanced -> save debug then upload that to the forum
Therefore, I am inserting the code as follows
Code:
login as: root
root@192.168.0.2's password:
Last login: Mon Sep 21 09:37:58 2015 from 192.168.0.3
Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p7 (FREENAS.amd64) #1 r249203M: Sat Apr  6 09:28:27 PDT 2013

FreeNAS (c) 2009-2013, The FreeNAS Development Team
        All rights reserved.
        FreeNAS is released under the modified BSD license.

For more information, documentation, help or support, go here:
        http://freenas.org
Welcome to FreeNAS
[root@freenas] ~# ls /mnt
./       ../      .snap/   md_size
[root@freenas] ~# zfs list
NAME       USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
HOBFiles   461G  1.20T   461G  /HOBFiles
[root@freenas] ~#

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ahhh I see you are running an older version of freenas, so the debug file option doesn't exist.

what does 'ls /HOBFiles' show you?

Stal00se

Dabbler
Code:
login as: root
root@192.168.0.2's password:
Last login: Mon Sep 21 09:52:55 2015 from 192.168.0.3
Copyright (c) 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

FreeBSD 8.3-RELEASE-p7 (FREENAS.amd64) #1 r249203M: Sat Apr  6 09:28:27 PDT 2013

FreeNAS (c) 2009-2013, The FreeNAS Development Team
        All rights reserved.
        FreeNAS is released under the modified BSD license.

For more information, documentation, help or support, go here:
        http://freenas.org
Welcome to FreeNAS
[root@freenas] ~# ls /HOBFiles
ls: /HOBFiles: No such file or directory
[root@freenas] ~#

danb35

Hall of Famer
Just to recap what the situation is now: Your pool appears to be healthy, and your data (minus whatever you did in the last seven minutes the pool was up) should be fine. Three of your disks are showing bad sectors, and one of them (ada1) really should be replaced very soon, but your data appears to be intact. The only problem is that, for reasons unknown, your system can't set up the directory to mount your pool to.

Here's what I'd suggest:
  • From the CLI, 'zpool export HOBFiles'
  • From the web GUI, download your config file (consult the manual for assistance, if needed)
  • Do a fresh install of FreeNAS 8.3.1 to a new USB stick. I'd suggest an 8-16GB stick to make room for you to upgrade to 9.3 in the future, but 4+GB is fine to stay on your current version.
  • From the web GUI of the new install, attempt to "auto import" your pool (again, the manual can walk you through if needed)
  • (optional, but probably a good idea) from the CLI, 'cd /mnt/HOBFiles' and then 'ls', and make sure your files/directories are there
  • If the import is successful, and your files are there, upload your saved config file. This will cause your server to reboot a couple of times. When it finishes, it should be back in its previous state before you started having problems--users, shares, jails (if any), etc.
You still will need to follow my earlier advice:
  • Run a long SMART test on all of the drives, and most the SMART data (smartctl -a /dev/adaN) once they're completed
  • Schedule regular SMART long and short self-tests
  • Replace ada1 (again, the manual has click-by-click instructions for this)
  • Use WDIDLE3.EXE to reset the head park timer to something more sensible than 8 seconds--300 seconds (5 minutes) is reasonable, or you can disable it entirely.
  • Make sure your server is correctly set up to email you about issues. There are two places this needs to be configured--one place for SMART issues, and one for everywhere else.
  • Schedule regular scrubs, every two weeks or so is good (OK, I don't think I posted this one before).

Stal00se

Dabbler
Just to be on the safe side, from the CLI does it matter if it from the shell within the GUI or should I go in through PuTty?

Also, do you recommend running from USB 2.0 or 3.0

Stal00se

Dabbler
Well, my slip is showing, as is my ignorance. Having a difficult time figuring out
From the web GUI, download your config file (consult the manual for assistance, if needed)
Manual for 8.3.1 does not help
Are you referring to the Web GUI shell
Or is there a specific area of the GUI that your are referring to?
The only thing that remotely look like your referral is under Settings - Upload Config

danb35

Hall of Famer

Stal00se

Dabbler
To everyone that helped me with this issue -

Thank You!!!!!

The files are now accessible and I am copying to two portable 500 gb drives as all files will not fit on one. Once done, I will proceed with the above instructions and then immerse myself in the intricacies of Freenas, (much to the consternation of my spousal unit - although it is her pictures that she has been screaming about)
You folks are the best, I will be sure to put in my last will and testament rights to my first born male child - and all of his school loans also.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Be sure to copy very important data elsewhere (just in case if one of the portables drives fail...) ;)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Excellent! Glad you've got access to your data, and you're making a backup. Once ada1 is replaced, and you have email alerts set up properly, you should be in good shape.

With the size of drive you have, RAIDZ1 is reasonably safe, as long as your system is properly configured to let you know when there's a problem. Once you get over 1 TB disk size, the risk increases that you'll encounter a read error during drive replacement which could (in the worst case) result in loss of all your data. Thus, if you decide that you want to jump up to, say, 3TB disks, you'd be better off with RAIDZ2 in your array.

danb35

Hall of Famer
BTW, something else just came to mind. Replacing disks in RAIDZ1 arrays can be a little scary, because if you offline the disk you're replacing, your pool is running without redundancy while you resilver. However, if you have a place to plug in the new disk without removing the old disk, you can replace the old disk without removing it first. To compare, here's the "normal" (specified by the manual) way to do the replacement:
  • Offline old disk - this step removes your redundancy
  • Power down server, remove old disk, install new disk, reboot
  • Initiate disk replacement through web GUI - once this finishes, you have redundancy again
If something goes wrong during the replacement, you could lose your data. Here's an alternative:
  • Power down server, install new disk, reboot
  • Initiate disk replacement through web GUI
  • Once replacement finishes, if old disk doesn't drop offline automatically, offline it
  • Power down server, remove old disk, reboot
Advantage of this method is you never lose your redundancy. Disadvantage is you need a place to connect the new disk, and at least temporarily a place to put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.