Zabbix agent and FreeNas

Status
Not open for further replies.

lohmag

Dabbler
Hello, does FreeNas support installation of zabbix agent? I tried to compile it but have some strange errors like
configure: error: in `/mnt/VOL2/zabbix-2.2.1':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
Anyone did this?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The C compiler is not available; FreeNAS is an appliance. You could install FreeBSD in a jail and compile it there, then see what needs to be installed in the base system. Not really a beginner level project though.

D

dlavigne

However, there are several ports/packages available which can be installed into a jail using the instructions in the Installing non-PBI Software section of the Guide.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Is that going to be meaningful? Presumably the user wants to instrument the NAS with monitoring and measurement capabilities. The jail would give almost no access to interesting stats.

Gleepwurp

Cadet
Hello, does FreeNas support installation of zabbix agent? I tried to compile it but have some strange errors like
configure: error: in `/mnt/VOL2/zabbix-2.2.1':
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
Anyone did this?

Hi,

Do you still need this? I've just compiled a version of Zabbix Agent 2.2.2 on FreeBSD 9.2 and copied the compiled files over to my FreeNAS installation.

2 things though:

1- Since the OS partition is "read-only", you can pretty much only copy your Zabbix agent into one of your pools (not the OS partition). You can then configure and execute the Zabbix agent from that location.

2- I still need to find a way to have the Zabbix agent started on bootup, as part of the "native" FreeNAS startup process... I haven't made it that far yet. My agent is currently started manually, and works well with the "FreeBSD" OS template in Zabbix.

Let me know if you're still looking for this and I can arrange to send you the comiled agent.

Gleepwurp.

gpsguy

Perhaps this is your answer: System → Init/Shutdown Scripts → Add Init/Shutdown Script

btw, it's in the manual.

Gleepwurp

Cadet
Hello,

I've compressed the Zabbix Agent v2.2.2 binaries here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/of5odw5kzb016p1/FreeNAS_Zabbix_Agent_2_2_2.tar.gz

Just uncompress in one of your pools, and add the init script like gpsguy mentioned.

You still need to configure the zabbix_agentd.conf to allow communication to and from your Zabbix server.

I've looked at the ticket you mentioned, and they don't seem very warm to the idea of adding the Zabbix Agent as part of their build...

G.

Gleepwurp

Cadet
Hey opensource,

nothing really magical to what I did, and no source code... I just installed a standard version of FreeBSD 9.2 in a Virtual Machine, and compiled the Zabbix Agent in there, then copied the compiled binaries over...

G.

Status
Not open for further replies.