You'd best Belive it Because what they say is true

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I asked about FreeNAS being suitable because most users around here care about their data and are willing and able to use suitable hardware and configurations to protect it. Your hardware now barely meets the minimum requirements, and your pool configuration has no redundancy. The latter, along with your comments here, suggests that the data you have stored on this system isn't all that important to you. There's nothing wrong with that, but in that case FreeNAS may not be the best fit for your needs. Or it might, but the possibility seemed likely enough that I thought I would ask.

The SMART tests and scrub will quantify the current damage. You know that there are data errors in 16 files. You don't know how many (if any) other files also have data errors; the scrub will tell you that. You know that ada2 has at least 64 bad sectors. You don't know how many more it has, or if ada0 and ada1 have any; long SMART tests will tell you that.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I agree with the folks here, regardless of if you stay with FreeNAS or not, run the long SMART tests and once they are 100% complete, report the results of each drive again. We will tell you how they are doing. You can also look here and the items marked in red are key indicators of mechanical failure. Also, ID 200 can be an indicator as well, but generally not by itself.

Since you are considering a RAID0 configuration, that tells me you do not value the data stored, or maybe you will back up your important data periodically which is a smart thing to do.

ultimateon

Dabbler
Well after much though and Input from you guys I have decided to temporarily Jump Ship to Xpenology taking into consideration the resources I have.
As for the drives all the drives Except the 1tb Spinpoint are fine according to extensive smart testing, for those who have interest in this matter.

I will now take my leave until the end of what I hope to December and return to the comfortable, extensively configurable FreeNAS.
Because lets face it FreeNAS is by far the only NAS Software that combines "Relative ease of Use" with large library of programs, Plugins and features without Giving a guy a full psychotic breakdown trying to configure FakeRAID or software raid properly.

Let's just Hope When I return back to FreeNAS I have atleast 16 gigs of ram , and 4 decent hard drives heh...

joeschmuck

Old Man
Let's just Hope When I return back to FreeNAS I have atleast 16 gigs of ram , and 4 decent hard drives heh...
16 gigs of ECC RAM :)

Status
Not open for further replies.