You are not allowed to create a pool with different data vdev types (RAIDZ1 and RAIDZ2)

Giblet

Cadet
Hello,

I have a pool containing 3 vdev's: 2x RAIDZ1 and 1x RAIDZ2
I have a few extra disks I would like to add in a RAIDZ1 configuration but get the following error in the web UI:
You are not allowed to create a pool with different data vdev types (RAIDZ1 and RAIDZ2)
In the legacy UI we would be able to "manually" override this limitation and go ahead with the config.
With Freenas FreeNAS-11.3 the option seems to be non-existant, and using the legacy UI isn't supported either.
Is there any way to extend my pool with a RAIDZ1?

With kind regards,
Giblet

Yorick

Wizard
CLI for now. 11.3-U2 might relax this, it does for different size disks.

Giblet

Cadet
CLI for now. 11.3-U2 might relax this, it does for different size disks.

Thanks for responding so quickly.
I always understood it's not advisable to change anything in Freenas through the CLI, since the GUI doesn't know about the changes made on CLI or something like that.
Is this still the case? and if this is something that is allowed to be done through CLI, do you maybe have an example or guide on how to do this?

Thanks in advance, Kind regards,
Giblet

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Although this advice is in no way an endorsement of what you're doing with the mix (which is clearly risky and questionable), you can certainly do it using CLI for now, or you can wait for the manual override to be added in the new UI, which is already coming at some point as part of a feature request covered in a different thread.

zpool add <poolname> raidz1 /dev/da1 /dev/da2 /dev/da3 ...

Yorick

Wizard
"Risky and questionable" yes, but not because they're adding a raidz1 - more because they're already using raidz1 to begin with. As long as losing everything in the pool is "no biggie", it's fine. If losing everything would cause major stress, rethinking the entire pool as a raidz2 creature would be a really prudent idea.

Koala166

Cadet
Hi there, I am new to TrueNAS and I have a similar issue. I am running TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 and I want to expand my raidz1 pool with a new raidz2 vdev, but the GUI will not allow me to select raidz2.

English is not my first language, so I don't know if I'm describing this correctly. Here's a picture of what I'm trying to do:

Screen Shot 2023-06-18 at 11.43.39.png

But I can't click on the "Raid-z" text to change it to raidz2:

Screen Shot 2023-06-18 at 11.44.41.png

Is there a way to do this via the TrueNAS Shell, and if so, what are the steps?

Also, assuming I'm stuck with radiz1 for both the old and the new vdev, does that mean that each vdev can lose one drive each before data loss, or that BOTH vdevs can only lose one drive between them?