Yet another question regarding Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

GChuck

Dabbler
On my test FreeNAS system I received the "Currently unreadable (pending) sectors" message followed by "Offline uncorrectable sectors" message. I did some searching and found the "Hard Drive Troubleshooting Guide" here on the forum. I ran the smartctl short test and it indeed did show IDs 5, 197 and 198 with 5 errors. So before doing anything else, I shut down the system, checked all the SATA cables and their connections and finally booted the Seagate SeaTools disk. By the way, I have a RAIDZ2 pool composed of 4 Seagate IronWolf 4TB drives. Anyway, the SeaTools SMART test showed no errors on any of the drives, including /dev/ada2 which was the drive throwing the error message.

So I rebooted the FreeNAS system, did another smartctl short test and it too now showed none of the previous errors, but did raise some other interesting things. Not sure if they were errors or not. Please see included output of smartctl short test particularly for device /dev/ada2.

Next I ran the smartctl long test and it came back after 11 hours as passing.

What this all means is a mystery to me. Do I have errors on this disk? Are they correctable? And should I be worried?

None of the output of these tests gave me enough output so that I could RMA the drive. All the drives are under warranty till the end of 2023.

Any insight or help would be appreciated.

Tha

Attachments

• smartctl.txt
    18.8 KB · Views: 122