Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

NasKar

Guru
I'm getting a critical error on my freenas "Device: /dev/ada1, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors". The WD Red 4 TB drive in question is still under warranty. I'm following the direction in these forums as well as from this blog. I have 3 of these errors so I repeated the process 527 minutes for the long test and it decreased the # unreadable sectors except on time it increased. Did a scrub and it fixed 56k. In process of doing another long test.
Should I RMA the drive or keep trying to fix it? Thanks for your advice. FYI I'm running Z2 with 6 drives so I have 2 drive redunancy.

NasKar

Guru
Replace the drive.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm RMA ing the drive. There website wouldn't let me choose the option for an advanced RMA, so I had to call on the phone. They were very nice and are sending a shipping label to send the defective drive back to them.

Just to confirm the steps to replacing the drive when it comes.
1)click on the drives Offline button
2)Turn off my NAS
3)Replace the drive and reboot
4)Click on replace drive button
Will that assign ada2 the same as the defective drive?
Any burn in to do or just wait for it to resilver the drive?

Stux

MVP
You can replace the drive without offlining it (safer) if you have a spare Sata port.

You can probably burn in the replacement first

NasKar

Guru
My new drive is coming monday. Should I take the bad drive offline now or wait till I get the replacement? Could it be causing plex to studder?

nojohnny101

Wizard
Should I take the bad drive offline now or wait till I get the replacement?
No, see what @Stux just said above?
You can replace the drive without offlining it (safer) if you have a spare Sata port.
Could it be causing plex to studder?
Hard to say, but if i had to guess, I would say no.

NasKar

Guru
Unfortunately all my SATA ports are being used.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Ok then no since in offlining the drive now, wait until your new one comes then follow step by step instructions in the manual.

Stux

MVP
Unless the old drive has totally failed it is still supplying at least some redundancy to your pool.

Offlining the drive now is effectively turning a partial failure into a total failure.

NasKar

Guru
Offlining the drive now is effectively turning a partial failure into a total failure.
Thanks for the explaination

Status
Not open for further replies.