YARQ (Yet Another RAM Question)

Given my use case and storage capacity, do I need more RAM?

• Yes, you would benefit from more memory.

• No, what you have is already overkill.

• No, but you may need more in the future.

• You need to rethink your entire build.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oRAirwolf

Explorer
I put together a new NAS for myself using a Dell PowerEdge T320 as the base, rather than going for a full custom build, as it was significantly cheaper for what I wanted.

Dell PowerEdge T320 Chassis
Intel Xeon E5-2407 @ 2.20GHz
24GB DDR3 1333 ECC Memory
Broadcom 5720 Dual Port 1Gb integrated NIC
Dell PERC H310 HBA cross flashed to stock LSI firmware in IT mode with these instructions
5 x 8TB Western Digital Red NAS
RAIDZ1 for ~27TB of usable space

I was reading through the hardware guide and saw that the general rule of thumb is 1GB of RAM per 1TB of storage. I was curious to get some opinions on if my RAM is sufficient for my use scenario. Basically, I am using FreeNAS first and foremost as storage for media (Movies/TV), backup for some applications, and ISO storage. I currently use my desktop for SabNZBD and Plex, but I have been considering offloading this to the FreeNAS box. The server will honestly be idle most of the time and only accessed by myself. Generally, I am consuming media that is stored on my desktop and only stream from my NAS for a movie or TV show in the living room. In this case, do you think 24GB is sufficient, given my use case and amount of storage? I can upgrade from 24GB up to 48GB for about $45, so I am not too worried about cost, but I would rather put that RAM in my ESXi box if it's going to be wasted in my NAS.

Any opinions/suggestions/criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Do you need more performance, particularly in read latency? If the answer is no, don't bother.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Or to rephrase: is it fast enough now? Is it using swap? If not, don't fix what ain't broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.