SOLVED During large transfer, speed drops by about 60% and cannot browse web

Status
Not open for further replies.

oRAirwolf

Explorer
I have been working on getting a new NAS going to replace my desktop/consumer hardware NAS with something a little more enterprise grade. My new NAS has the following:

Dell PowerEdge T320 Chassis
Intel Xeon E5-2407 @ 2.20GHz
24GB DDR3 1333 ECC Memory
Broadcom 5720 Dual Port 1Gb integrated NIC
Dell PERC H310 HBA cross flashed to stock LSI firmware in IT mode with these instructions
4 x Seagate 3TB SATA 7200RPM (ST3000DM001-1CH166)

Notes:
Drives are connected to the hot swap SAS backplane of the T320 to the H310
FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 (e1497f269) installed on 2 x Kingston Data Traveler USB 2.0 drives
System dataset is stored on the USB drives
Using RAIDZ1 striped array with single parity
Autotune enabled under System > Advanced
Both NIC ports connected to HP Procurve 1800-24G (Teaming not enabled)
Router: ASUS RT-AC68P
The Seagate drives are being used for testing the new NAS. Once I feel it is working properly and stable, I will be swapping over my drives from my other FreeNAS box, which has 5 x WD Red NAS 8TB drives
I am testing transfer from my desktop, which has an Intel i218v NIC.

The problem I am running into is when I do a large transfer test from my desktop to the new NAS box. It starts out at a stable ~104MB/s, but eventually will drop all of a sudden to about 41MB/s. Along with the drop in speed, I will no longer be able to access other computers on my network and I cannot surf on the internet from any other device on the network. If I stop the transfer, everything starts working again. I am a little stumped as to what could be causing this. My other NAS is also running the same version of FreeNAS and I can transfer to it all day long with no problems. It is an i7-3770K, 16GB non-ECC, Z68 motherboard, and a PCIe 1GB Intel CT NIC. Does FreeNAS not like those Broadcom 5270 NIC's I have? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am happy to post any logs I can as well.

Pxu0320.png

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Disable auto tune and remove all the tunable that it set. Auto tune should never be used. Disconnect that second nic, one nic on a subnet is best.

Does this happen when you do a single file big transfer? What does iperf show you?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

oRAirwolf

Explorer
Disable auto tune and remove all the tunable that it set. Auto tune should never be used. Disconnect that second nic, one nic on a subnet is best.

Does this happen when you do a single file big transfer? What does iperf show you?

I disabled autotune, removed all of the tunables it had created, and rebooted. I ran a 20,000 second iperf to the server and it maintained the correct bandwidth. I also created a 1.00 TB dummy file using random data so it was not compressible and moved it to the server. It maintained the same transfer rate the entire time. I think I may be good to go at this point. I had to delete the folder that I previously transferred to make some room, but I will try transferring another folder filled with...ahem...Linux ISO's to see if it works OK as well.

Thanks for your help.

76J7SXh.png

qkAWlke.png

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Folders with lots of small files can cause slow downs also.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

oRAirwolf

Explorer
Folders with lots of small files can cause slow downs also.

I moved over about 2.5TB of misc files and it worked fine. I think I'm good to go. Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.