Slow transfer speed

Paueron

Dabbler
Hello,
I installed few days ago TrueNas on a HP EliteDesk 800 G1 mini pc, with CPU: i7-4770S (vPRO), 8gb ram, Intel e82585.

On my TrueNas i have connected for the moment, only to try the system and know if it works well, a SanDisk UltraFair 256gb usb, i know that this USB device when is connected directly to my PC can tranfer up to 100MB/s...
But when i Try to transfer from my Windows PC to this USB connected to the NAS it go at 20MB/s... really slow...

My Windows PC is a desktop with, i9-11900, Asus Rog z590-F, rtx 3070.
All the PC are connected each other via a Netgear GS108GE, so with ethernet.

I leave below a screenshot while transfering a 8GB folder.

Attachments

• Transfer speed.jpg
    Transfer speed.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 318
  • Configuration Screenshot.jpg
    Configuration Screenshot.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 310

NugentS

MVP
USB Disks are not reccomended for use with TrueNAS / ZFS

Whattteva

Wizard
Does this 8 GB folder just contain one large file or a lot of files totalling 8 GB?

I also just noticed this. I think there is something not configured correctly on your system, cause the system is taking up like 90% of your RAM (unless you're running some kind of VM that you didn't mention).
Run htop on the console and see what is taking up all that RAM.

Paueron

Dabbler
This folder contain a lot of files that make totalling 8gb. But if i transfer it directly to the USB attached to my windows pc is way faster to transfer it.

I think the system i this screenshot is taking only 100mb of ram, in fact the previous screenshot tells 7,9GB of ram avaiable, not occupied...
Below the htop comand result

Paueron

Dabbler
USB Disks are not reccomended for use with TrueNAS / ZFS
I just tried to install truenas on another PC (Dell) with Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz, 4gb ram. Also if it isn't a powerful pc, only to try.

And I attached a 500gb ssd SATA to share in my network, so i can exclude the problem of the USB Disk. Also with a Sata drive it goes really slow, more ore less the same speed or even worst.

Paueron

Dabbler
This folder contain a lot of files that make totalling 8gb. But if i transfer it directly to the USB attached to my windows pc is way faster to transfer it.

I think the system i this screenshot is taking only 100mb of ram, in fact the previous screenshot tells 7,9GB of ram avaiable, not occupied...
I forgot the screenshot, sorry.

Attachments

• htop command.jpg
    htop command.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 328

Paueron

Dabbler
SOLVED!
I noticed making a speedtest on my ISP Internet that my switch(Netgear GS108GE) wasn't working properly.
Now the transfer speed on the HP Pc are around 60-80MB/s pretty good!
On the Dell Pc the transfer speed are the same, 10-15MB/s maybe because is not enought powerful, but it doesen't matter it was only a "experiment"

Whattteva

Wizard
Speed will vary wildly depending on if you're transferring a lot of smaller files vs one big file. For one big file, you should expect to see around 100+ MiB/s. With a lot of smaller files, it can be as slow as single digits.
You are misunderstanding that. Admittedly, that wording is misleading. iXsystems probably should change that from "total available" to "total installed". That total is just specifying how much RAM you currently have installed, not how much is FREE. The first screenshot shows that 7.1 GB is currently taken up by "services", which is concerning. Your second htop screenshot looks fine though.

For reference, here's how mine looks like. You can see that services only take about 4 GiB and the rest is just ZFS cache.
1675010501971.png

SOLVED!
I noticed making a speedtest on my ISP Internet that my switch(Netgear GS108GE) wasn't working properly.
Now the transfer speed on the HP Pc are around 60-80MB/s pretty good!
On the Dell Pc the transfer speed are the same, 10-15MB/s maybe because is not enought powerful, but it doesen't matter it was only a "experiment"
As I have said, you need to control your testing. Do a test with a lot of small files, and do another one with just 1 really big file that is at least several GiB in size.

Paueron

Dabbler
Ok, don't know why it takes a lot of ram like that, I don't have nothing else except disk sharing.. And i absolutelly don't have VM on this TrueNas.
After a Reboot I saw that now it have 4gb free, 2gb zfs cache, and the rest services... so pretty normal i think

Regard the testing of the transfer speed:
Yeah with a lot of small files that sommed makes a lot of GB it go up and down from 80MB/s to 5MB/s, but it is normal i think.
with only one Big file the speed is stable around 80-90MB/S, I tryed to tranfer a Windows 10 ISO(7GB).

So I think it is all good now.
In the next days I will attach my 3tb USB HDD and I will use like this my TrueNas Core. After i will think if maybe make an upgrade to the hardware.