FreeNAS Unresponsive During Transfer

architect

Dabbler
Hi all,

I'm new to NAS and Unix in general and running to issue moving data over. I installed FreeNAS on an old Dell Optiplex 980 with Intel i7 860, 16GB Ram, Intel 82578DM NIC, Kingston 64GB SSD as boot, and WD Red 8TB storage. I have mapped the drives in Windows to the FreeNAS and also setup Syncthing. The problem is when I try to transfer a large amount of data over (copy and paste), within 30min my FreeNAS box crashes. I can't tell if this happens during a small or large file as I am trying to move 2TB of data with 500,000 files over. Once crashed, I can no longer reach the FreeNAS via WebUI. My PC where I'm coping the data from is also froezen trying to reach the mapped drive (I have to unplug my eternet cab,e and unmap FreeNAS to unfreeze the PC). However, looking at the FreeNAS console shows no errors or issues. It is responsive from the local menu selection and I can type in '10' to reboot it. Pinging the FreeNAS shows that it is responsive as well. I also tried moving the data over using Syncthing between my PC and FreeNAS and it crashes the same way.

Thank you.

architect

Dabbler
I realize something else that points me to some issue on the FreeNAS box. When doing an initial scan of files using Syncthing, it is stuck half way with estimating time of scan for > 1 month. The same scan with 3x the file on my Windows PC is done quickly without issue. The web GUI on the FreeNAS is also sluggish and barely usable now. I suspect the FreeNAS will crash soon.