SOLVED Reading Data Transfer Speed

VolumeTank

Dabbler
I just build my first FreeNAS and something is confusing me about Data Transfer Speed when I move a folder from my PC(iMac ) to my FreeNAS Share folder the speed of reading on y iMac saids 151MB but on my FreeNAS the Write saids 1760.45k that's very low on the FreeNAS if is kilobytes or I'm looking at the wrong information. If I'm reading the wrong info. What is the proper way to read. I also did a test on BlackMagic of my FreeNAS Drive and it saids 109MB/s write and 108MB/s read

Pardon my ignorance but is just a bit confusing the way FreeNAS shows that info.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 7.04.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 7.04.31 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 291
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 7.05.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 7.05.26 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 268
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 7.09.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 7.09.17 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 272

Constantin

Vampire Pig
The current UI has some issues to get ironed out. Confusing and/or wrong charts is one of them. For example, my CPU temperature on a historic basis shows about the right temperature (˜25*C) but current temperatures are always in the 0*C range. That would be quite a feat by the cooling system considering that the ambient temperature is 21*C, it only uses a fan, a heatsink, some paste, and a shim to keep the CPU die cool.

I'd focus more on being able to transfer about 100MB/s, which is close to the limit of gigabit Ethernet. You're likely only to get that with large files, small file transfers tend to be slower. For example, Time machine backups never seem to go beyond 50MB/s on my system, despite a SSD source, a 10GBe connection, a 200GB SLOG on the NAS, etc. Some processes are simply slow.

VolumeTank

Dabbler
The current UI has some issues to get ironed out. Confusing and/or wrong charts is one of them. For example, my CPU temperature on a historic basis shows about the right temperature (˜25*C) but current temperatures are always in the 0*C range. That would be quite a feat by the cooling system considering that the ambient temperature is 21*C, it only uses a fan, a heatsink, some paste, and a shim to keep the CPU die cool.

I'd focus more on being able to transfer about 100MB/s, which is close to the limit of gigabit Ethernet. You're likely only to get that with large files, small file transfers tend to be slower. For example, Time machine backups never seem to go beyond 50MB/s on my system, despite a SSD source, a 10GBe connection, a 200GB SLOG on the NAS, etc. Some processes are simply slow.

Thanks for the clarification. I did knew about the gigabit transfer limit and the different rates on small/large files, but like you said the UI had me very confusing specially I came from QNAP that everything is there well set up for you. I'm really interesting on updating my GBe connection for my workflow network to 10GBe I have 2 Desktop 1 laptop accessing files, but is a bit pricey. I do lots of video editing and learning Web Development and accessing files and data is a mess.

I did found a way to check the read/write on shell not sure if is the proper way but at least match with my local computers information:
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gammt/index.html

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I'd look into getting a Mikrotik switch with SFP+ ports like this one. Then fit a SFP+ card in your NAS and connect it with either a Direct Attach Copper (DAC) cable assembly or start buying SFP+ modules for longer distances.

Note: Fiber tends to be cheaper, transceiver-wise for the time being than RJ-45-based copper connections. I'd also avoid trying to confect your own fiber (it's the one argument that copper has going for it, ease of assembly). Buy pre-made DAC cable or fiber assemblies instead.

Desktop cards like the Myricom series enjoy good support on the Mac. For the laptop, you could follow in my footsteps and use a Myricom card inside a OWC Helios enclosure. Works a charm - only turns on when the Thunderbolt bus is active, etc. However, your PCIe card has to be tunnel-aware - I found that the Chelsio 4xx series on the Mac is not so - would perhaps work inside a Cheesegrater mac but not in an external PCIe enclosure over Thunderbolt. The Myricom also had a better installer, IMO.

Because of the current high prices for Copper-based 10Base-T connections, I'd stick to a SFP+ solution for now. You can always slide in a copper transceiver in the future, if the need arises. Right now, copper transceivers are 2x of optical ones. Plus, copper 10GBe connections are limited to shorter distances. The only thing that copper really has going for it is a much smaller subset of alphabet soup re: the different fiber types, etc.

Thus, I'd go DAC if possible. If distances are too great, I'd go with SR transceivers featuring LC connectors. For the Mikrotik switch, this one has worked for me. Then use a pre-made patch cable like this one (multi-mode, 850nm, etc.).

Finally, add a SFP+ module on the computer end that is also the SR type and ideally imprinted with the same device manufacturer ID as the card. Some cards only like to have "their" transceivers paired with a card. eBay is a great source for used transceivers. Look for SFP+ 10GB SR and the name of your card (Myricom, Intel, etc.).

Last edited:

VolumeTank

Dabbler
I was reading some similar to this option but not so well detailed as you jus point out here this sound very interesting. I will definitely look into this for my home network. Didn't know about this OWC Helios enclosure already watch a few vids about it and sound great. You just opened my mind to a whole new level. This is awesome and I'm so pump to get more deep into FreeNAS specially after receiving this type of info. Thanks so much!

VolumeTank

Dabbler
I'd look into getting a Mikrotik switch with SFP+ ports like this one. Then fit a SFP+ card in your NAS and connect it with either a Direct Attach Copper (DAC) cable assembly or start buying SFP+ modules for longer distances.

Note: Fiber tends to be cheaper, transceiver-wise for the time being than RJ-45-based copper connections. I'd also avoid trying to confect your own fiber (it's the one argument that copper has going for it, ease of assembly). Buy pre-made DAC cable or fiber assemblies instead.

Desktop cards like the Myricom series enjoy good support on the Mac. For the laptop, you could follow in my footsteps and use a Myricom card inside a OWC Helios enclosure. Works a charm - only turns on when the Thunderbolt bus is active, etc. However, your PCIe card has to be tunnel-aware - I found that the Chelsio 4xx series on the Mac is not so - would perhaps work inside a Cheesegrater mac but not in an external PCIe enclosure over Thunderbolt. The Myricom also had a better installer, IMO.

Because of the current high prices for Copper-based 10Base-T connections, I'd stick to a SFP+ solution for now. You can always slide in a copper transceiver in the future, if the need arises. Right now, copper transceivers are 2x of optical ones. Plus, copper 10GBe connections are limited to shorter distances. The only thing that copper really has going for it is a much smaller subset of alphabet soup re: the different fiber types, etc.

Thus, I'd go DAC if possible. If distances are too great, I'd go with SR transceivers featuring LC connectors. For the Mikrotik switch, this one has worked for me. Then use a pre-made patch cable like this one (multi-mode, 850nm, etc.).

Finally, add a SFP+ module on the computer end that is also the SR type and ideally imprinted with the same device manufacturer ID as the card. Some cards only like to have "their" transceivers paired with a card. eBay is a great source for used transceivers. Look for SFP+ 10GB SR and the name of your card (Myricom, Intel, etc.).

I'M BACK AT THIS AGAIN......

I tried to get this Mikrotik but no one have it available, my only option would be peer-to-peer from my FreeNAS to my iMac until prices on 10GB T-Base comes down. So far I got this card for my FreeNAS SuperMicro X540 I'm trying to get something compatible with my iMac so far I look into a verity of option #1 is the one you suggest but not SFP+ if there is one. #2 Is a Sonnet Presto 10GbE 10GBASE-T which use a X550 T controller and Sonnet claims that is very compatible with Mac. #3 Is another product from Sonnet Solo10G PCIe Card but it use a Aquantia AQC107S controller which FreeNAS is not compatible and I'm not sure it there would be communication issues between the 2 Devices. Which route would you recommend from the 3?

I really don't want purchase any 10GB-T Switch they are so expensive and only brings either 2 or 1 10GB-T port only which is the reason why I'll rather use peer-to-peer connection instead for now.

The Solo 10G cost $148 + 108.88 the SuperMicro X540
The Presto 10GbE 10GBASE-T cost $275.90 the Mercury Helios 3 cost $199.75 Sonnet has one as well the Sonnet Echo Express SE I Thunderbolt 3 for $219 Also I would need an adapter for my iMac because is a 27" 5K Late 2015 and have Thunderbolt 2 not Thunderbolt 3 USB 3 Type-C this is a total mess :eek: I can't either try the Apple Adapter or use a $70 Akitio T3T to connect the Hellio or Sonnet to my iMac