Xserve to freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhh389587

Cadet
Hi all
Hope someone can help me out we have a apple Xserve server we built a server installed freenas how can we transfer all data over. on the xserve we have two partitions both are accessabile by active directory authentication. Thanks for all the help.

jamiejunk

Contributor
Man, you are going to need to give us WAY more detailed information than that.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I don't understand the question.

What exactly are you looking to do?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Sounds like he's got an Xserve, probably with lots of NAS data stored on it. Since these things aren't made anymore and aren't the greatest technology, replacing it with a FreeNAS server is an option.

But given the total lack of information, basically the only answer is "well maybe copy it using a client PC, or maybe use tar and netcat, or something like that." Because we don't even know what protocols are being served, what type of data, etc.

hhh389587

Cadet
the xserve contains files and the email server dns server i am using SMB protocol.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Ayup, pirateghost. :smile:

<moderator hat on>

This thread is nominally closed for being in violation of the forum rules. As a courtesy I'm going to leave it open should the OP wish to actually comply with the forum's guidelines for requesting assistance, but otherwise please consider it closed and post no further comments here.

Thank you!

<moderator hat off>

hhh389587

Cadet
Hi jgreco How can I comply with the forum rules I do apologize I am new to this forum.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
<gets out the silver platter>

Please go read the forum rules conveniently linked at the top of every page with a nice red "Forum Rules" link. Then note that you've repeatedly been asked for detailed additional information about your environment, in this thread, which you've basically just ignored.

hhh389587

Cadet
Hi Jgreco Where in the forum rules does it state that if asked for details it must be given asap. I am getting the details once in front of the system. PLEASE copy past from forum rules which stats that.

DJ9

Contributor
He's referring to this: http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/forum-rules.22553/#post-134570/

Specifically the part that mentions:
  • System Configuration Information: Items marked with an asterisk “*” are required for a failure postings. However, all items are recommended and could simply be part of your tag-line.
* FreeNAS version (ex. “FreeNAS 9.2.1.6-Release 64-bit”)

* Hardware:
  1. * Motherboard (Model)
  2. * CPU (Model)
  3. * RAM Size (in GB and model)
  4. Hard Drives (Model), Quantity, and RAIDZ configuration
  5. Add-On cards
  6. For network connectivity, include details on your network hardware/configuration.
It's really not that fricking difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.