Apple hardware query...

tangles

Dabbler
Hi all,

I got an old Mac Pro and old Xserve that I wouldn't mind using for a local onsite backup box. (i.e. periodically turn on, run zfs send/recv, turn off)

MacPro (2008)
Dual QC Harpertown Xeons @ 3.0GHz
64bit EFI
64bit Radeon PCIe GPU
8 x 4GB FB DIMMS
6 SATA 2 ports (4 in the normal bays and 2 up where the Optical 5¼ drives reside.

Xserve 2008
Dual QC Harpertown Xeons 2.66GHz (from memory)
4 x 4GB FB DIMMS
1 x Radeon 1300 mezzanine card
3 x SATA 2 drive bays at front
1 x PATA optical (which has PATA to SATA adapter/caddy for I'm guessing some SSD in the past)

Both seem to meet the minimum hardware requirements.

Both boot up perfectly fine from 11.3-U3.2 USB installer and I can see the countdown and the install FreeNAS installer starts.

Then the screen is just a garbled mess…

Eventually the screen goes blue, but is a garbled mess still, but I can tell it's the FreeNAS window with 4 options, being:
1. Install/Upgrade
2. Shell
3. Reboot System
4. Shutdown System

I've attempted to use the FreeNAS install guide website to follow along and attempt to get FreeNAS installed, but I've not had any luck getting a successful install on either Mac.

On the Mac Pro, I've also swapped out the GPU for an nVidia (PC BIOS) GPU, but I didn't see anything at all on screen, so I'm guessing the lack of EFI on the GPU might be the cause here.

The Xserve has a Console/Serial port, but again I've not been able to get anything out of it when booting from the FreeNAS USB stick to attempt to view things via serial.

I'm wondering if someone has come across this before with Apple hardware, and might know what I can add to the USB stick to have the garbled screen cleaned up and usable? Given that I can see the initial screen perfectly fine, I'm certain it's just some video mode I need to enter, but I'm just not sure of the exact syntax to and commands to use to get this happening.

Any help would be greatly appreciative.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There were a few threads back in the day, but IIRC, using Mac Pros always ended up being fairly hacky.

tangles

Dabbler
I might have a go installing FreeBSD and see if the same issue occurs. if it does, then I'll post at FreeBSD.

allegiance

Explorer
Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm looking at the same hardware here (with also a 2010 Mac Pro), wondering if I should even bother trying.

tangles

Dabbler
I used an X58 motherboard in the end.

Still have the xServe in the rack though.

Might see if Linux will go on now that ZFS isin the installer as an option...