XEN with FreeNAS VM + Windows VM vs. unRaid with Windows VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Raider

Cadet
Hi,

So I am trying to decide which route to go and find myself torn. I have a system below:

i7-6700k, z710-a mobo, 32 gb ram, GTX 1080, 3x 3TB HDD (new WD Red), 2 x 500 GB HD (from old laptops), 1 X 500GB SSD (I also have the IBM 1015 (flashed to be HBA) and 2x SaSS to 4 SATA cables).

I was initially thinking of doing XEN with Debian is domO and windows VM and freeNAS VM with GPU and PCI pass through respectively. Plex would be the choice of media server. I have been reading a lot on it and definitely feel it is feasible. The data on my drives would be mostly media (pictures, music, family videos, and movies) that is backed up to OneDrive (10 TB) + pictures are archived to bluray discs.

Another option that I have been bumping into is unRaid and it has got me intrigued. While I don't like the idea of paying the 130 for the pro license, the package feels appealing. Network shares + windows VM with GPU pass through, mix/match hard drive sizes etc.

My desire is to have network storage, stream content from Plex to TV, and be able to play games using my windows VM on the same box .. (already spent quite a bit of money on this one and can't justify to SO another system for NAS :-D). I am strongly apposed to another box and would like one system to fit the build.

Essentially I can't make up my mind on which way to go. If anybody can provide a unbiased opinion (maybe hard, realizing I am posting this on FreeNAS forums), based on my requirement mentioned above, I would appreciate it.

mattbbpl

Patron
Well, you don't have the hardware for FreeNAS, so let's rule that out immediately. I can't speak much to the other NAS options you speak of, though.

Really, though, it sounds like all you really need is a Windows box with a shared folder and Plex installed. That would be far better for your gaming situation. You'd just lose the data integrity/redundancy benefits of FreeNAS. Maybe I'm missing other requirements?

Jack Raider

Cadet
Yes, I def. need a network share and have looked at win 10 storage spaces as an alternative to all this. It offers parity (like unRaid) and recovery of lost drives. Essentially need something that can allow me to recover a drive if it fails and still allow network share for other devices on the network.

mattbbpl

Patron
Then go with Windows. If you game on it, it's likely the only thing you'll truly be happy with as VMs tend to lose significant performance.

I don't have direct experience with unRaid, but there are a number of users who HATE it. I think that revolves mostly around poorly implemented redundancy/integrity though, so that may not be critical to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.