Windows VM freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorifutoboi

Dabbler
Hi guys, I am new to FreeNAS and have been running 11.1-U5 for a couple of weeks now. My motherboard is an ASRock EP2C602 with 2x Xeon E5-2680 and 128GB PC3-14900 ECC memory installed.

I have installed a Windows 10 VM giving it all 16 virtual CPUs and 8GB of memory. I have a few MKV files that I am trying to remux with MKVToolNix GUI but I cannot get any jobs to complete without the VM locking up. In the Windows 10 VM task manager, the CPU usage is around 100% and the memory usage is around 2GB however in the FreeNAS web GUI, the CPU usage is around 15%.

Do you guys have any ideas on what I can do to try and diagnose this problem ? I am not very good with computers so I am at a loss on where to start. MKVToolNix GUI on Windows 10 on my laptop remuxes my videos without locking up but I want to do it in the VM as the server is more powerful than my laptop and will take much less time.

I appreciate everyone's time,
David

dorifutoboi

Dabbler
Apparently in the FreeNAS web GUI, Reporting -> CPU -> CPU Usage graph reports number of jiffies instead of %CPU usage by default. I enabled System -> Advanced -> Report CPU usage in percentage and ran MKVToolNix GUI again. Again the Windows 10 VM task manager showed the CPU usage to be around 100% while the FreeNAS web GUI CPU Usage graph reports around 15%.

I have been using the e1000 NIC for my VM but tried using the VirtIO NIC instead. The previous MKVToolNix GUI job that kept failing succeeded. I will try a few more jobs before I consider this solved.

I felt a bit hopeless since nobody replied because I thought that I would never get the Windows 10 VM running to a state that I wanted it to be at. I really hope that this simple thing is the fix to my problem.

chris crude

Patron
For what it's worth, when VMs were new to FreeNAS many people including myself had the same issues. Changing nic to VirtIO fixes it. It's been nearly a year now and I have had no issues, aside from windows updates shutting the VM down at unexpected times.

dorifutoboi

Dabbler
For what it's worth, when VMs were new to FreeNAS many people including myself had the same issues. Changing nic to VirtIO fixes it. It's been nearly a year now and I have had no issues, aside from windows updates shutting the VM down at unexpected times.

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. I am glad to hear that your VM has been working well for you for almost a year now. I hope mine will be trouble free as well and I look forward to using it.

apestabrook1

Cadet
Im using the VirtIO ethernet adapter and my CPU is still at 99% utilization all the time.
Any other suggestions?

chris crude

Patron
Im using the VirtIO ethernet adapter and my CPU is still at 99% utilization all the time.
Any other suggestions?
Do you only have FreeNAS setup with VirtIO, or do you have the driver installed in your Windows VM also? You need both.

Status
Not open for further replies.