VM Hardware passthrough

jag131990

Explorer
Hi Guys,

I am really interested in the new feature set of FreeNAS 11, specifically I want to run a Windows 7 VM with software that will use a bluetooth USB adapter and USB serial com adapter... currently my HTPC is powered on 24-7 along with my FreeNAS purely to serve these ancilliary functions..

Is this going to possible for me to spin up a Windows 7 VM in future, and pass through a USB device from my FreeNAS host to a VM??

I was once considering running my FreeNAS box on ESXi instead of bare metal for this reason.. but I also decided to put my jails on a redundant pool on SSD drives (that are attached to my motherboard SATA controller whereas my FreeNAS storage pool (8x3TB) is all connected to my HBA card which I understood would of worked well with the ESXi setup but I wasn't sure about the Jails on my onboard controller.

I am hoping for the best but I am assuming this won't be possible and I would still need to go the ESXi route to accomplish this.

One thought I had was to redirect my COM ports in Windows to use something like this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/StarTech...er-/331622176024?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Provided I could run up the Win7 VM then this would work I think but not sure about a TCP/IP to bluetooth solution..

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

KrisBee

Wizard
A few simple searches would answer your question.

What does FreeNAS use for VMs? - bhyve ( iohyve, vm-bhyve)
Does bhyve support USB pass through now, or it is planned? - https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve

FreeZM

Dabbler
Any news on this point? Would be sooo happy to have USB passthrough...

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Any news on this point? Would be sooo happy to have USB passthrough...
Still no specific USB passthrough that I can find. You would have to pass through the entire USB controller, which obviously has implications for local keyboard/mouse.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
PCI(e) USB controller card would be an interesting option for those situations.