SOLVED X11SSM-F Build Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

finlike27

Dabbler
Hey all,

Trying to wrap my head around component compatabilities and passing the FreeNAS threshold.

Build is as follows:

Fractal Design Node 804 Case
Corsair 550RMx

Supermicro X11SSM-F Motherboard [BIOS v2.2]
Intel Celeron G4920 3.20Ghz CPU
Kingston KVR24E17S8/8I 8GB [x2]

WD Red Nas 4TB [x4]
Sandisk 120GB SSD Plus

Two questions:

- Is the CPU compatible with the MB? The CPU is generation 8, and the MB chipset is Intel C236 (supports 6/7)
- Is the RAM compatible with the MB? I've found different spec sheets, some of which claim the RAM is UDIMM and some DIMM

For additional background, this is the issue I'm working through and I'm trying to eliminate the possibility that I've used incompatible hardware.

So, finally, will it FreeNAS?

Thanks!!

finlike27

Dabbler
Thanks Johnnie.

So if the CPU isn't compatible - why was the system able to boot into the FreeNAS GUI (even for a few minutes)?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thanks Johnnie.

So if the CPU isn't compatible - why was the system able to boot into the FreeNAS GUI (even for a few minutes)?
You have already purchased and assembled this and now it is not working, is that the situation?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is the CPU compatible with the MB? The CPU is generation 8, and the MB chipset is Intel C236 (supports 6/7)
That should not have even fit in the socket. Why would you even try that?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are you sure? That'd be a big deal.

Sure, it's a 100% artificial limitation imposed by Intel, which would have involved a trivially different socket in saner years (LGA1156 to LGA1155 to LGA1150 to LGA1151 or LGA2011 to LGA2011v3), but a modern CPU is a tricky beast to get running. I doubt it can do much before microcode is uploaded to it from the system firmware, and firmware space is at a premium these days, given the large microcode patches of recent memory and manufacturers really not wanting to buy higher-capacity flash chips for the firmware.

Holy crap, talk about unexpected. What firmware version are you running on that board?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Realistically, the solution is to get an equivalent Xeon E3 v5/v6 Celeron (or Pentium or i3 or actual Xeon). But I'd really like to know just how doable it is to get the thing running on that board. Early on, there was speculation that power delivery was substantially upgraded for Coffee Lake.

finlike27

Dabbler
The BIOS is 2.2.

The weird part about running the incompatible CPU is that it would, on the whole, load the GUI. It was simply a matter of minutes until it froze and the system crashed. Supermicro confirmed that the Celeron G4920 is not compatible.

Turns out the system is much more stable using a compatible CPU. That's a learning for me right there folks, check the model number before you purchase a CPU. Oops!

Now running on a Intel Pentium G4560 - without error. I'll close the thread as solved.

Thanks all for weighing in.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's Intel's fault too. They could've come up with a new socket, as they always have, when they want to artificially break compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.