X11SSH-F and X11SSM-F with Coffee-Lake processors

collector

Dabbler
Hi, I am using a Supermicro X11SSH-F and a X11SSM-F which are both limited to 6th and 7th generation intel processors.

I saw that it was possible to run Coffee Lake processors with motherboards that officially support Kaby-Lake https://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/Hardware/carte-mere/coffeetime-coffee-9700k-sujet_1040725_1.htm

I would like to know if it is possible to run a Xeon E-2100 or E-2200 processor with these motherboards using PINMOD?

(I will not change my motherboard, the only possibility for me is to upgrade the processor if possible)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Simple answer: No.

Yes, the limitation is artificial, imposed by Intel, but this is not remotely something anyone should be recommending for anything other than cool experimentation.

collector

Dabbler
It's not that simple. Some have already managed to launch Coffee Lake processors on the X11SSM-F

Sélection_026.png

Others have even been able to overclock Coffee Lake processors on ASRock Z170M motherboards like the YouTuber Luumi!

Anyway I will test, I'm a tinkerer and I'm not afraid to break the hardware. I only come to ask you for advice and to know if other people could try to integrate Xeon Coffee Lake processors on supermicro X11 with c236 chipset, so that it can help me as much as possible in my experience that I will probably share here

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I see you have an X11SSM-F as well, have you ever tried running a Coffee Lake processor on it?
No, because it is unsupported and I don't have nearly enough time to spend on such a project, especially for things that I want to work.

collector

Dabbler
Okay, I understand. In your article you said that some users have successfully booted Coffee Lake processors with an X11SSM-F. Is there any information regarding their work?

Any information regarding this topic will be very helpful to me!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You'd have to dig around, it was long ago and I'm not even sure if it was here on the forum or elsewhere.