Would this make a good home NAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reggie Burnett

Dabbler
I'm rebuilding my home NAS from Ubuntu 16.04 to FreeNAS 10 and looking to see if this hardware would be ok. It's pretty lightweight. 6tb zfs raid 5 with 6 tb usb3 backup. plex server, minecraft server, cable tv recording, and some light docker work.

Hardware being considered:

Supermicro micro atx MBD-X9SCL-F (1155, sandy bridge) could also go with the X9SCM-F. They are about the same $$$
Intel xeon e3-1270
16gb ECC memory

My system now is running an old core i7 lynnfield cpu (860) so I think the e3-1270 won't be any slower and might be a bit faster. From what I can tell the cpu supports real mode so the hypervisor in FreeNAS should not have any trouble.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
The only thing I'd caution against is the 16GB ECC RAM, ensure that you could easily upgrade it to 32 GB later without having to replace any RAM DIMMs.

As for system hardware specs, just look at FreeBSD 10 and 11 hardware requirements since FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD. Always think of the future.

Reggie Burnett

Dabbler
The only thing I'd caution against is the 16GB ECC RAM, ensure that you could easily upgrade it to 32 GB later without having to replace any RAM DIMMs.

As for system hardware specs, just look at FreeBSD 10 and 11 hardware requirements since FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD. Always think of the future.
Yeah I think you are right. I'm going to be running some vms and several docker containers. Maybe 32G would be better.

Reactions: SCS
Status
Not open for further replies.