Parts check: 6-drive home setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinM

Contributor
Will be used for the usual things--backups, streaming media, iscsi for some virtual machines, cifs, etc. I thought about doing a smaller mini-ITX Atom-based setup and that probably would have been fine, but I figure if I'm going to have this thing for five years or more I might as well get what I want. What I want is 6 drives in RAID-Z2, ECC RAM and a decent CPU.

I found what looks like a pretty cool 6-drive case. The motherboard has 6 sata2 ports, so I should be good there. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important before I pull out the credit card. For example:

Does anyone have experience with Toshiba DT01ACA300 drives?

Am I likely to have heat issues with six drives in the LIAN LI PC-V354B case?

Anything else I should consider?

1 x LIAN LI PC-V354B Black Aluminum MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Caser
1 x SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O LGA 1155 Intel C202 Micro ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server
1 x Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core
1 x Kingston 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ECC Unbuffered Server Memory w/TS Model KVR16E11K4/32
6 x TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5
1 x COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 RR-910-HTX3-G1 COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 RR-910-HTX3-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" 92mm CPU Cooler
2 x Patriot 8GB Tab Flash Drive Model PSF8GTAB3USB

KevinM

Contributor
Trigger finger got the best of me. Just ordered.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Just so you know, NewEgg has been offering the Seagate 4TB at $150 several times recently. Slower drive but larger capacity. I've got seven of them in a RAIDZ3 and get very nice (300MB/sec+) performance in a test setup.

KevinM

Contributor
Just so you know, NewEgg has been offering the Seagate 4TB at $150 several times recently. Slower drive but larger capacity. I've got seven of them in a RAIDZ3 and get very nice (300MB/sec+) performance in a test setup.

That's a nice setup. I'd like RAIDZ3 but to get the 7th sata port I'd have to rethink the hardware to some extent.

As far as I can tell Seagate 4 tb drives are $189 right now. With the 3 tb drives I ordered I'm going to have ~10tb useable which is already more than I need.

My bigger concern with 7200 rpm drives is heat. The PC-V354B case I ordered isn't very big, but it does have a lot of fans on it. We'll see.

Newegg has a 5-drive limit on the 3tb drives I ordered, so the process of me giving them $$$ for the 6th drive is proving to be difficult. I'll try again tomorrow, and if that doesn't work I'll get it elsewhere.

KevinM

Contributor
Just a quick follow-up for those looking for hardware recommendations. The hardware minus drives arrived last Friday. I assembled the system and successfully booted from the thumb drive. All hardware was detected without issue by FreeNAS. The drives came in yesterday and I created a 6-drive RAIDZ2 vdev, which is showing as 10.7tb useable. So far I've created some CIFS shares but over the weekend I plan to migrate my iSCSI LUNs to the FreeNAS box as well.

Install notes:

Lian-Li PC-V354V Case: The case is a very good size for a 6-drive NAS box and is well made. Space is a bit tight but with some zip ties and some careful arranging of cables the interior is mostly unobstructed. The front fans have blue LEDs which may be a little too colorful for some. I haven't cut power to the LEDs yet, but probably will at some point.

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O motherboard: The board is very nice for a home server. It supports ECC RAM and has a nice bios that supports staggered spin up on all six sata ports. I probably won't bother with etherchannel but I am glad there are two NICs.

Intel Xeon E3-1230: So far I have not put the system under enough load to tax the system. But I like that it has a high clock rate for single-threaded apps like Samba.

COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler w/92mm fan: I read a review on Newegg that this cooler fits in this case, but I found that in the orientation I wanted, with the fan facing up, the aluminum heat pipes were just making contact with the power supply. I possibly could have gotten it to fit but decided to go with the stock heatsink+fan for now. If I notice issues with heat I will look for a new heatsink with a decent but slightly smaller fan. Open to suggestions there.

I re-used a non-modular 500w Antec earthwatts power supply I had laying around. According to this website I should be pulling ~305w at 90% load, so I should be fine.

Overall I am happy with the hardware. Thanks to all the posters here, including jgreco's hardware sticky which suggested using a server-grade motherboad, xeon e3-1230 cpu and ecc ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.