would setting sync off on a smb share improve it's speed?

tomerg

Dabbler
would i be able in this case to add a slog? because from what i understand a slog in no good with smb which is usually a-sync.
i'm kind of lost here. if you can give me a direction i will gladly read it.

ryzen 3 3200g 3.6ghz raedon vega 4 am4
asus tuf b450
gskill aegis 2*8gb 3000 ddr4 cl16
2*wd red 1TB i thing it is 5400 rpm.
transcend ssd

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Quoting from here:

always = ZFS will sync every write to disk immediately, even if ESXi (or whatever app) doesn't ask for it.
standard = ZFS will sync writes when the app asks for it (ESXi always syncs, at least on NFS)
disabled = ZFS won't sync writes whether asked or not. In case of a crash, you will lose a few seconds of writes.

If you have an SSD SLOG, it will be used to sync the write.

I think that sets it out relatively well... apologies to anyone in the forum here who wrote the same in a different or better way, but this was the first google result.

SMB shares will not be requesting sync writes, so if the dataset shared was not set to sync=always (remembering the default is standard), aysnc writes are already the case, so setting it to disabled will change nothing and would eliminate the impact of a SLOG in any case.

Perhaps adding another VDEV and more RAM to your 16GB would be the best chance to speed things up.

Yorick

Wizard
SMB asks for sync writes when accessed from a Mac. Sync disabled is a good way to test whether sync was the reason for write slowness.

More RAM helps with read speed for small files.

We really need some specifics. What is slow? Client OS, access pattern (tens of thousands of small files? Fewer big files? Read or write? If read, size of the typical dataset), observed throughput, desired throughput, for starters.

Once you define your issue clearly, you may find you are halfway to a solution.

tomerg

Dabbler
Quoting from here:

always = ZFS will sync every write to disk immediately, even if ESXi (or whatever app) doesn't ask for it.
standard = ZFS will sync writes when the app asks for it (ESXi always syncs, at least on NFS)
disabled = ZFS won't sync writes whether asked or not. In case of a crash, you will lose a few seconds of writes.

If you have an SSD SLOG, it will be used to sync the write.

I think that sets it out relatively well... apologies to anyone in the forum here who wrote the same in a different or better way, but this was the first google result.

SMB shares will not be requesting sync writes, so if the dataset shared was not set to sync=always (remembering the default is standard), aysnc writes are already the case, so setting it to disabled will change nothing and would eliminate the impact of a SLOG in any case.

Perhaps adding another VDEV and more RAM to your 16GB would be the best chance to speed things up.

the whole files weigh just 30G. i thought the memory is enough. i thought 16 would be enough. maybe i should replace the hard drives to ssd?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
the whole files weigh just 30G. i thought the memory is enough. i thought 16 would be enough. maybe i should replace the hard drives to ssd?

As @Yorick was suggesting, we need to understand a bit more about what you think slow is and how you're set up before making any more recommendations of what will help.

RAM may help if you have a large volume of smaller files in that 30GB. SSD may help with transfer speeds or IOPS if those are the bottlenecks (maybe it's network or some other issue).

tomerg

Dabbler
SMB asks for sync writes when accessed from a Mac. Sync disabled is a good way to test whether sync was the reason for write slowness.

More RAM helps with read speed for small files.

We really need some specifics. What is slow? Client OS, access pattern (tens of thousands of small files? Fewer big files? Read or write? If read, size of the typical dataset), observed throughput, desired throughput, for starters.

Once you define your issue clearly, you may find you are halfway to a solution.
on the client side there are win10 systems. so i understand they do not ask for sync writes. the whole dataset is about 30G so i thought it will do. the previous server had only 8 and it did not hang. it a cpr office. i'm not about the transfers. they have exe files on the servers which somehow are used on all the clients sides. also they don't really have a database - only one client at a time can write to a certain profile. i'm not sure how big are the files being loaded. but i think there are big excel files which can way 3-4G all in all. systems runs ok most of the time but sometimes between read operations it takes a few sec to complete the operation. it is not running smooth. i did check the speed of the lan and it was fine (95mb). i wonder if i should just replace the harddrives with ssd (that would be on my expense cause it's my mistake i guess)

tomerg

Dabbler
As @Yorick was suggesting, we need to understand a bit more about what you think slow is and how you're set up before making any more recommendations of what will help.

RAM may help if you have a large volume of smaller files in that 30GB. SSD may help with transfer speeds or IOPS if those are the bottlenecks (maybe it's network or some other issue).
I think they are many small files of their clients (accounting office). i just thought they are all being loaded together. usually they will work on one client on at time. but on some programs they load big files of excel. i can't say for sure cause i don't work there. i'm just the computer guy (a bad one obviously). i elaborated a bit more in my reply to @Yorick

Yorick

Wizard
Alright, it's getting a little clearer. You have issues with read being slow at times, over a GBit link. There are many small files, so we're expecting some seek. You think the dataset will fit into 30GiB. You have 16GiB now for system and ARC, so about 12GiB of ARC.

Let's see whether it's an access pattern issue. From CLI, "zfs-stats -a", and take a look at the ARC statistics. You can "code" insert that here. That'll tell you whether more ARC (more RAM) is the answer.

Second, you have chosen a, shall we say, idiosyncratic motherboard. This has a Realtek® RTL8111H Ethernet chip, which is known to Not Be Awesome in FreeBSD. Quick and simple test: Try an Intel NIC add-in card and see whether that helps - at all, a lot, a little, TBD, but worth a test.

Top NICs: https://www.servethehome.com/buyers...as-servers/top-picks-freenas-nics-networking/

Lastly, this is really out there, but you have a Ryzen, so: Turn off C6 in BIOS. Sometimes called CoolNQuiet. See https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/frustrated-with-amd-ryzen-stability-on-11-2-u5.78263/

Some folk had better success with power state changes than pointing fingers at Realtek drivers.

Yorick

Wizard
For others coming across this thread, while Ryzen support is getting better in FreeBSD, it's still not awesome. And as a rule, a consumer board without IPMI is not a great choice, not even in home use, and certainly not for an office. A conservative and affordable build is some form of SuperMicro current-gen X11, X11SCL-F, X11SCM-F, X11SCH-F depending on number of SATA ports desired. And a Pentium G5400, if file serve is all the unit is doing; or a Xeon E-2224 if it needs to do light (!) virtualization. Plus 32GiB or so of ECC memory.

Lest I seem too Intel-biased, there is of course a good AMD Epyc line: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/aplus/solutions/SP3 . That's a different price point, though.

Last edited:

tomerg

Dabbler
Alright, it's getting a little clearer. You have issues with read being slow at times, over a GBit link. There are many small files, so we're expecting some seek. You think the dataset will fit into 30GiB. You have 16GiB now for system and ARC, so about 12GiB of ARC.

Let's see whether it's an access pattern issue. From CLI, "zfs-stats -a", and take a look at the ARC statistics. You can "code" insert that here. That'll tell you whether more ARC (more RAM) is the answer.

Second, you have chosen a, shall we say, idiosyncratic motherboard. This has a Realtek® RTL8111H Ethernet chip, which is known to Not Be Awesome in FreeBSD. Quick and simple test: Try an Intel NIC add-in card and see whether that helps - at all, a lot, a little, TBD, but worth a test.

Top NICs: https://www.servethehome.com/buyers...as-servers/top-picks-freenas-nics-networking/

Lastly, this is really out there, but you have a Ryzen, so: Turn off C6 in BIOS. Sometimes called CoolNQuiet. See https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/frustrated-with-amd-ryzen-stability-on-11-2-u5.78263/

Some folk had better success with power state changes than pointing fingers at Realtek drivers.
thank you for this thorough answer!
the link is not Gbit but 100mbit limited by the cables and the switch (cisco).
the dataset size on the disk is 30GiB.
is the problem only with the nic (i wanted to buy intel nic but they were much more expensive)? or is it the motherboard? I'm thinking of maybe buying a whole new computer and selling this one.
when i'll be in the office i will try and run this command

Yorick

Wizard
the link is not Gbit but 100mbit limited by the cables and the switch (cisco).

That makes it unlikely that moving to SSD will help you.
It'll also be good to do a basic scrub of the networking - just make sure there aren't any duplex mismatches / half-duplex links anywhere between the FreeNAS server and the test workstation.

I'd definitely look at the power state settings - C6 and "CoolNQuiet" will both interfere.

As for an alternative build, I gave my recommendations above. I'd find out where the bottleneck is before spending large on server-grade hardware, however.

An Intel i210 adapter is 30 bucks (example: https://www.newegg.com/startech-st1000spexi/p/N82E16833114139?Description=intel i210&cm_re=intel_i210-_-33-114-139-_-Product&quicklink=true), that seems a reasonable outlay if smartctl and adjusting power states get you nowhere.

tomerg

Dabbler
That makes it unlikely that moving to SSD will help you.
It'll also be good to do a basic scrub of the networking - just make sure there aren't any duplex mismatches / half-duplex links anywhere between the FreeNAS server and the test workstation.

I'd definitely look at the power state settings - C6 and "CoolNQuiet" will both interfere.

As for an alternative build, I gave my recommendations above. I'd find out where the bottleneck is before spending large on server-grade hardware, however.

An Intel i210 adapter is 30 bucks (example: https://www.newegg.com/startech-st1000spexi/p/N82E16833114139?Description=intel i210&cm_re=intel_i210-_-33-114-139-_-Product&quicklink=true), that seems a reasonable outlay if smartctl and adjusting power states get you nowhere.
so i was at the office today and what i found is that workloads come nowhere near the full capacity of the server. i wasn't able to run all the tools recommended here (probably because i don't have much experience with cli. but i did see that there was 7G free memory (of course 0 swap). services only 1.6G. cpu load was 0-3% max. i think under system there was something about processes. mean was 0.23 longtern was arround 0.2. the peak was 0.6. also had some support, check the router. it did run some unnecessary processes (some checks) but after that they said everything seems fine. i also canceled the coolnquiet to Typical Current Idle. after all that they still get 1-2 sec hangs after trying to save a small change they make. it doesn't happen each time but about once every 10 or so times. i must say there was hardly a workload that day. there were 5 workers but about 2 were active and it even happened when 1 worker was trying to save. so it doesn't seem to be about load.
previous server had only 2GB ddr2! (i imagine the cpu is quite weak) and it ran quite smooth.

i ran arcstat and the results:
Code:
Last login: Tue Apr 21 13:37:34 on pts/1
FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p6 (FreeNAS.amd64) #0 r325575+d5b100edfcb(HEAD): Fri Feb 21 18:53:26 UTC 2020

FreeNAS (c) 2009-2020, The FreeNAS Development Team
        All rights reserved.
        FreeNAS is released under the modified BSD license.

For more information, documentation, help or support, go here:
        http://freenas.org
Welcome to FreeNAS

Warning: settings changed through the CLI are not written to
the configuration database and will be reset on reboot.

root@GR-SRV[~]# arc_summary.py
System Memory:

1.27%   175.41  MiB Active,     9.31%   1.25    GiB Inact
        32.93%  4.44    GiB Wired,      0.00%   0       Bytes Cache
        56.36%  7.60    GiB Free,       0.13%   18.59   MiB Gap

Real Installed:                         14.00   GiB
        Real Available:                 99.19%  13.89   GiB
        Real Managed:                   97.04%  13.48   GiB

Logical Total:                          14.00   GiB
        Logical Used:                   36.79%  5.15    GiB
        Logical Free:                   63.21%  8.85    GiB

Kernel Memory:                                  349.07  MiB