Windows VM inaccessible boot device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Carson

Explorer
Hi Guys

I've been running 11.0-RELEASE very stabily for quite a while now. I run a couple of VMs on top of the NAS (2 Linux and 1 Windows Server 2008R2). I built the windows VM manually using iohyve, originally on 9.10-STABLE and then made the necessary changes to allow it to continue to operate as FreeNAS updated. The main change that I remember was getting "iohyve start" to work.

Just today I upgraded FreeNAS to 11.1-U2 which was successful except for my windows VM. The NAS is fine and the Linux VMs are fine but I am getting a BSOD, error 0x7B (inaccessible boot device) on the windows VM. Reverting to 11.0-STABLE allows this VM to work properly again.

Are there changes other than the "manually set sectorsize" warning that I need to do within iohyve to get this windows VM to work with 11.1-RELEASE? Or, is this another issue?

Thanks & Regards
Ian Carson

Ian Carson

Explorer
Bump. Anyone? Thanks

Ian Carson

Explorer
Unfortunately not. The machine is in production so I don't get a lot of opportunity to mess with its working. I was hoping there might be some hints as to the issue so that my downtime to fix was minimized.
All help gratefully received! :smile:
Regards
Ian

Ian Carson

Explorer
@dlavigne I suspect its a failure to properly read the boot folder location during the "iohyve start <machinename>" command. Are you guys in contact with the author of the iohyve tool? There may be a change between 11.0 and 11.1 which causes a breaking change in how iohyve and zfs communicate data output from zfs commands (which seem to be the basis of the iohyve command set)

Ian Carson

Explorer
Bump. Anyone? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.