Updated to 9.10.2 U2 Windows uefi VMs fail to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

booya

Dabbler
Hi!

I've successfully been running a few Windows Server VMs on FreeNAS since last year. I finally decided to upgrade to 9.10.2 U2 and now the command for starting the VMs ("iohyve uefi windows") fails returning: "guest uefi doesn't exist".

Should I revert back to previous FreeNAS version or can this be fixed?

Edit:
Did a little bit of digging in the iohyve scripts and found the problem, "iohyve start windows" is now supposed to be used instead of "iohyve uefi windows", for this to work it is also required to set loader=uefi on the VM.

Last edited:

Sean Coston

Contributor
can you post the basic iohyve config settings for a windows vm? I am trying to migrate my windows vm back from Corral to 9.10.2+

I would like to just set up the vm in iohyve, then point it to the block disk device...

Thanks,

SDC

booya

Dabbler
can you post the basic iohyve config settings for a windows vm? I am trying to migrate my windows vm back from Corral to 9.10.2+

I would like to just set up the vm in iohyve, then point it to the block disk device...

Thanks,

SDC

Hi! Did you manage to get it working?

These are the results from iohyve getall windows:

Getting windows iohyve properties...
bargs -H_-w
boot 0
con nmdm12
cpu 2
description Sun Oct 28 19:12:31 CEST 2016
fw BHYVE_UEFI.fd
install no
loader uefi
name windows
os default
persist 1
ram 8G
size 40G
tap tap12

Do you need anything else?

Sean Coston

Contributor
Thanks! I did already get it working using the VM tab on FN11-nightlies.

Appreciate your reply though.

Ian Carson

Explorer
Hi!

I've successfully been running a few Windows Server VMs on FreeNAS since last year. I finally decided to upgrade to 9.10.2 U2 and now the command for starting the VMs ("iohyve uefi windows") fails returning: "guest uefi doesn't exist".

Should I revert back to previous FreeNAS version or can this be fixed?

Edit:
Did a little bit of digging in the iohyve scripts and found the problem, "iohyve start windows" is now supposed to be used instead of "iohyve uefi windows", for this to work it is also required to set loader=uefi on the VM.

Thanks for the "iohyve start" tip - will be very useful once I can get updated to 9.10.2-U3 and still have my SMB shares and Active Directory working

Status
Not open for further replies.