Windows previous versions smb shadow copies not working at folder level

oumpa31

Patron
I updated to TrueNAS-12.0-U3.1 about 3 weeks ago because I heard that the SMB Shadow Copies were fixed in this version but it only works on the level that I have the periodic snapshots set. This is the top level of this share and this will let me go through all the folders.
1622049544483.png

but if I go into a folder and try to check the pervious versions they show up but I get this.
1622049649890.png
1622049674714.png

This is the settings in Truenas
1622049791985.png

Am I missing something is this a known issue.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
There was one bug that got delayed until U4. Probably originally was supposed to be "the version after U3", but we had to do a security release for U3.1.

oumpa31

Patron
Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like the fix for this issue that i had talked to someone before that said the fix will be out in U3 must be the one that got pushed back.

Ckone

Dabbler
I still have the issue on 12 U6. Previous version not showing on Windows 10.

ibds

Dabbler
Do you have auxiliary parameters set on the share? If so, remove them.

Hello,

I've updated from FreeNAS 11.3-U5 -> TrueNAS Core 12.0-U8.

Now previous versions (shadow copies) are no longer displayed under Windows, although the corresponding snapshots exist.

However, on all my shares ('Sharing' - 'Windows Shares(SMB)' - 'Edit' - 'Advanced options' ) the following 'Auxiliary parameters' are set:

Code:
zfsacl:expose_snapdir=True
hide dot files = no
vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr

Which of these entries must/could/should be deleted regarding the shadow copies? I guess I can leave 'hide dot files = no', right? However, I am not sure about the other two lines. If I delete all AuxParams, then the previous versions are visible again. But I would like to know what exactly has to be changed.

Is there any documentation about the changes caused by the update?

I would be grateful for any feedback.

Dieter

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello,

I've updated from FreeNAS 11.3-U5 -> TrueNAS Core 12.0-U8.

Now previous versions (shadow copies) are no longer displayed under Windows, although the corresponding snapshots exist.

However, on all my shares ('Sharing' - 'Windows Shares(SMB)' - 'Edit' - 'Advanced options' ) the following 'Auxiliary parameters' are set:

Code:
zfsacl:expose_snapdir=True
hide dot files = no
vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr

Which of these entries must/could/should be deleted regarding the shadow copies? I guess I can leave 'hide dot files = no', right? However, I am not sure about the other two lines. If I delete all AuxParams, then the previous versions are visible again. But I would like to know what exactly has to be changed.

Is there any documentation about the changes caused by the update?

I would be grateful for any feedback.

Dieter
You can either comment-out the vfs modules or set:
vfs objects = streams_xattr shadow_copy_zfs zfsacl

ibds

Dabbler
Thanks for the quick reply.

I've set the params according your suggestion and it works.

According your post how-to-access-zfs-snapshots-over-smb, I've also removed the param "zfsacl:expose_snapdir=True"

Thanks for the support. Without up-to-date documentation, it's currently difficult to figure out what to configure and where.

Is there already a release date for the official TrueNAS 12 documentation?