Windows (CIFS) Shares permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

anichin

Cadet
I am using FreeNAS-9.2.1.1-RELEASE-x64 (0da7233) and need some help with the CIFS permissions configuration.

The netbios name of the server is 'freenas'.

There is a ZFS dataset /mnt/tank/common/multimedia/pictures. There is sub-folder with some pictures called 'John'

The owner of the files is root:multimedia

293dftw.png

/mnt/tank/common is shared using CIFS with the default settings.

24gj3ax.png

FreeNAS has User John which is a member of the 'multimedia' (Auxiliary group)

2itrkmf.png

The windows machine has local user John and maps a network drive \\freenas\Common as Z:

These are the permissions for one of the pictures:

zkpl5g.jpg

You can see 'root' has Read/Write/Execute permissions which is consistent with the permissions from the first screen-shot.

The 'multimedia' group however lacks the Write permission:

ejeniu.png

Instead it has 'Special permissions'. If you drill down you can see what these special permissions are:

2djrkew.jpg

While these permissions allow "Create files / write data" for example but "Write attributes" is not allowed.

This means that when I am logged in as John (and member of the 'multimedia' group) I have read access to those pictures. I can rename them because I can "write data". What I cannot do is to tag these pictures or rate them because this is "writing attributes" and I am not allowed as part of the group.

I can create a copy of one of the pictures and then will be able to add tags and rate the new picture:

x5e0sg.png

i5xksh.png

This is possible because I am doing it as the owner of the picture (John) who has full Write rights.

Ideally I would like John as member of the 'multimedia' group to be able to have full Write rights and to be able to rename/delete/move files but also to change the metadata - tags, ratings, etc.
I would like to be able to add a new user later to the 'multimedia' group who can have the same rights. So, it is the group that has to have the rights and not the individual user.

Please, help if you know how to do this.

anichin

Cadet
No unfortunately. I posted this recently and I am still hoping someone who knows to answer.

Soloam

Contributor
The bug is reported, best curse of action is to go to the bug page and write your comments, this will make the bug more visible. This works well in FreeNas 9.2.0, from what I have read it's something related to the new updates on Samba server. Hope that this is fixes soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.