Permission Denied when mounting cifs share under linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdibling

Cadet
I am attempting to mount a FreeNAS cifs share by doing:

Code:
sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.20/Tunes /mnt/tunes -o user=john,rw,domain=WORKGROUP

...but there is something wrong with permissioning:

Code:
[johnd:/mnt] $ sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.20/Tunes /mnt/tunes -o user=john,rw,domain=WORKGROUP
Password: 
[johnd:/mnt] $ ll tunes
ls: cannot open directory tunes: Permission denied
[johnd:/mnt] 2 $ 

How can I fix the problem with mounting under linux?

In an attempt to provide any information you might need, here are more details about my installation.

My user name under linux is not the same as my username under FreeNAS.

My intent is to provide a share from my FreeNAS installation for media files, where one account (mine) has read-write access and all other accounts have read-only rights. I have FreeNAS FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x64 running under VirtualBox with 4 GB RAM, a 4 GB install partition, and 4x 3TB hard drives for storage. VirtualBOX is running under Ubuntu.

I re-installed the latest version of FreeNAS today, and followed the instructions found in http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?12689-Permissions-Set-Up-Example-for-Dummies-COPY-from-HowTo-area in setting up 3 users: john, barbara and mark. 'john' will have full rights on the "Tunes" share, while barbara and mark will have read-only access to the sahre.

I *am* able to mount the share under Windows using:

Code:
net use x: //192.168.1.20/Tunes

If I login as john, I am able to list and create files on the share, just as expected. If I login as barbara or mark, I can read but not write -- again, just as expected.

I am comfortable in linux, and work primarily in the terminal, but I am no linux guru. Aside from my recent explorations in to FreeNAS, I have no experience in FreeBSD.

I have not yet installed a jail or any plugins in my FreeNAS system, as I'm trying to take things one step at a time.

ProtoSD

MVP
Code:
[johnd:/mnt] $ ll tunes
ls: cannot open directory tunes: Permission denied

I think the problem might be that the directory tunes does not exist on your Linux system.

Try mkdir -p /mnt/tunes

EDIT: Or it doesn't have the right permission. It doesn't look like you are logged in as root. Try that and I'll bet it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.