Loss of permissions on files - CIFS sharing

Nico052020

Contributor
Good morning, everybody. I hope to be able to find a solution on this forum.

I have a problem with permissions on files modifications

My server is configured as follows :
2 users : Paul and Pierre
3 groups : Paul, Pierre and Common

Paul (user) => Paul (group) define as primary group + Common (group) define as secondary group
Pierre (user) => Pierre (group) define as primary group + Common (group) define as secondary group

I have created 3 datasets with the following characteristics:
Paul : user owner: Paul ; group owner: Paul
Pierre : user owner: Pierre ; group owner: Pierre
Commun : user owner:nobody ; group owner:Common

Concerning permissions on datasets:
Paul (dataset) => owner:read - write - execute ; group:read - write - execute
Pierre (dataset) => owner:read - write - execute ; group:read - write - execute
Commun (dataset) => owner:read - write - execute ; group:read - write - execute

Further informations :
The access to the directories is done via a windows share (CIFS).
The access to the directories is done via two PCs, one running under ubuntu and the other under windows 10.

MY PROBLEM :
The user connected on the PC running Ubuntu always takes dominance over the modification of files in the "Common" dataset.
If Paul works on Ubuntu and Pierre works on Windows
If Pierre creates a .txt file in "Common", he is able to modify it. But, if Paul open this file and save a modification, Pierre can no longer modify and save this file.

However, even if Pierre can no longer make changes, he can change the filename or delete the file without any problem.

Worse: I did a test by putting Pierre in a secondary group of Paul and Paul in a secondary group of Peter.
I have the same phenomenon. Pierre (windows) loses the modification permissions on his own dataset as soon as Paul will modify a file on Pierre's dataset !!!

Have you a idea ?
Thank you

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Good morning, everybody. I hope to be able to find a solution on this forum.

I have a problem with permissions on files modifications

My server is configured as follows :
2 users : Paul and Pierre
3 groups : Paul, Pierre and Common

Paul (user) => Paul (group) define as primary group + Common (group) define as secondary group
Pierre (user) => Pierre (group) define as primary group + Common (group) define as secondary group

I have created 3 datasets with the following characteristics:
Paul : user owner: Paul ; group owner: Paul
Pierre : user owner: Pierre ; group owner: Pierre
Commun : user owner:nobody ; group owner:Common

Concerning permissions on datasets:
Paul (dataset) => owner:read - write - execute ; group:read - write - execute
Pierre (dataset) => owner:read - write - execute ; group:read - write - execute
Commun (dataset) => owner:read - write - execute ; group:read - write - execute

Further informations :
The access to the directories is done via a windows share (CIFS).
The access to the directories is done via two PCs, one running under ubuntu and the other under windows 10.

MY PROBLEM :
The user connected on the PC running Ubuntu always takes dominance over the modification of files in the "Common" dataset.
If Paul works on Ubuntu and Pierre works on Windows
If Pierre creates a .txt file in "Common", he is able to modify it. But, if Paul open this file and save a modification, Pierre can no longer modify and save this file.

However, even if Pierre can no longer make changes, he can change the filename or delete the file without any problem.

Worse: I did a test by putting Pierre in a secondary group of Paul and Paul in a secondary group of Peter.
I have the same phenomenon. Pierre (windows) loses the modification permissions on his own dataset as soon as Paul will modify a file on Pierre's dataset !!!

Have you a idea ?
Thank you
What version of FreeNAS?

Nico052020

Contributor
Hi,
I have freenas 9.3

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,
I have freenas 9.3
FreeNAS 9.3 is End of Life. If this is deployed at a business, you should seriously consider upgrading because there have been multiple critical security vulnerabilities in Samba since the 9.3 days. FreeNAS 9.3 lacks the ability to manage SMB ACLs from the GUI, and using the POSIX permissions editor can lead to erratic behavior. In 9.3 the only supported method of setting permissions for SMB was to set the permissions type to "Windows" and then use a Windows client to edit the ACLs through file explorer.

Nico052020

Contributor
Hi,
No, it's familly server. You think that it's problem of ACL ?