Windows 10 Network Discovery Broken... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

esamett

Patron
(I am starting a new post because
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...o-see-freenas-server.42817/page-2#post-279300
is a bit too heated for my tastes)

Last Year Win 10 was not finding my static IP NAS due to the "Network Discovery Problem." As promised Microsoft "fixed" issue in March and all was OK until the past week or so when the problem reoccurred. I have no problem finding NAS by typing in the IP address to Explorer. On a related note I checked my Advance Network settings and Microsoft somehow reset them to defaults.

Does anybody have any insight into this?

The most recent system update installed is: kb3147458

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
What do your CIFS settings look like? Have you tried enabling and disabling "Local Master"?

There are a lot of (non-freenas) posts pointing to Windows inability to see samba shares.

Would you mind running the scotties tech recommendation in this post to determine what the master browser situation looks like on your network?
Is everyone having the same issue as me? All Win 10 (1511) PCs, the first to boot, finds all inc SMB/CIFS etc. but the others only see (in file explorer) Win PCs. If I turn off the "master", one of the others will now see all and son on and so forth.

Is there some kind of master PC forwarding the network info to others in Win 10?

I suspect that this depends on which machine is the so called 'master browser' on the network.

The master browser maintains a list of all the machines in the network and other machines on the network ask the master browser for this list when they do a network browse. Theissue here seems to be that a Win 1511 machine doesn't query the master browser correctly to get a complete list, it's missing devices such as linux based NAS.However if a 1511 machine happens to be the master browser and it does a network browse it will see the NAS having got the ALL the info when it assembled it's master list of devices in its role as master browser. This link gives a bit more information on the master browser and how to find it if you are interested.

http://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/
(post is from: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...res-shared-folders-in-windows-10-after-update)

Last edited:

esamett

Patron
here are settings. will look at scottie

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 235

zoomzoom

Guru
I've never had an issue utilizing CIFS on Windows 10, nor accessing a device via IP in Explorer. Majority of issues (somewhere north of 90%) users are experiencing are due to their environment, most often drivers, and the lack of performing a clean install and following the proper clean install procedure.
  • Have you tried running the network troubleshooter, and if so, did it throw any errors?
    • Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\Network and Internet
  • Have you looked in Event Viewer to see what, if anything, is being logged when you attempt to access your device via IP in Explorer?
    • Computer Management - Event Viewer
  • Have you received any network protocol errors in general (error will have "network protocols" in the error)?
  • Have you ran cleanup-image and SFC from an admin powershell/command terminal?
    1. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    2. SFC /ScanNow
  • Have you verified Advanced Sharing settings are set correctly?
    • Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings
  • Have you modified/disabled default admin shares?
    • Computer Management - Shared Folders - Shares
      • You should see a ADMIN$, all mounted drive letters followed by a $, IPC$, print$, etc.
If one did not perform a clean install of Windows 10, and are instead running the upgrade, and the user is experiencing wonkiness that cannot be replicated by every other user, the wonkiness is almost always environment related; unless a user performs a clean install and follows the proper clean install procedure, there's no way to rule out the lack of a clean install (and by default, the ~25% of the prior OS's files within the Windows directory).

In regards to Windows resetting things to default, this shouldn't be occurring, unless you're in the Insider program, as almost every Insider preview update requires a new Windows 10 install and is almost always performed automatically at night while you sleep.

Last edited:

esamett

Patron
I am but a Bear of Little Brain. I turned everything off and on again - Computers and Network hardware. Things are back to "normal." As such, is there any of the above that are important for me to do?

Thanks as always.

zoomzoom

Guru
I am but a Bear of Little Brain. I turned everything off and on again - Computers and Network hardware. Things are back to "normal." As such, is there any of the above that are important for me to do?

Thanks as always.
Not at all =]

Although I recommend everyone should run the DISM and SFC (they should be paired together, with the DISM command always ran first, followed by SFC after a reboot) command one every month or so.

It's also not a bad idea to run DISM /online /cleanup-image /AnalyzeComponentStore every two to three months.

Status
Not open for further replies.