Windows 10 does not auto-connect to smb share

PaulM23

Cadet
Hi guys. There is a minor issue with my installation (Windows 10 client and FreeNAS 11.2 U4) which is bugging me for quite some time now. I configured a couple of smb shares, assigned drive letters in my Windows 10 client and told Windows to auto-connect the shares at start-up. However, after the client is booted, the network drives are shown to be unavailable (red cross). I then (each and every time) open up explorer and click on every share which makes them available. How can I avoid this in the (hopefully near) future?

Thanks a lot and apologies if this is a well known topic and I was too stupid to find the corresponding threads.

Paul.

Evertb1

Guru
I don't think this is a FreeNAS problem but that Windows is the bad guy. I had the same problem a couple of years ago. It was driving me nuts. Until I started to use a little tool called DriveMap. It takes care of reconnecting my shares. There are settings in Windows that you can alter to get a better experience with this but for me MapDrive does a good job and I don't need to dive in windows to resolve this. MapDrive can be downloaded for free. One of the places to find it is sourceforge.net

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I have the same issue and have had for quite some time. I've just gotten into the habbit of clicking on each mapped shortcut in file explorer after each boot so they show as connected. Not an elegant solution but it works until Microsoft can get it fixed (maybe in this lifetime.......).

PaulM23

Cadet
Thanks a lot for that valuable input. I will try the powershell scripts on the Microsoft page and report if it works...

profwalken

Patron
on my W10 have set a maps.cmd file to be executed at each boot with this inside for example:

@echo off
NET USE * /DELETE /YES >nul

NET USE I: \\SRV-Name\Install password /USER:username /PERSISTENT:NO >nul

exit