SOLVED Windows can't connect to SMB share

vzbptbcs

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

I'm using TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE, but since there is no "Help & Support" sub-forum I guess this question will fit here better.
I'm almost sure my issue is not really related to TrueNAS, but maybe someone else experienced this too?

I've setup a SMB share and now I try to access it on a Windows client, which is... well... not working.
I tried that with two different clients. Windows 10 and Windows 7. Both are VirtualBox VMs.

In the firewall logs I can clearly see that the clients try to connect on port 80 instead of 445.
I've tried to connect via hostname or IP address. Same behavior.

Then I've found this https://serverfault.com/a/620383
But it is already configured like this...

Mounting a SMB share from my Synology NAS on these clients works just fine. o_O

I can successfully ping the target machine from my Debian host and also from the Windows VMs.
I have no idea...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello everyone,

I'm using TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE, but since there is no "Help & Support" sub-forum I guess this question will fit here better.
I'm almost sure my issue is not really related to TrueNAS, but maybe someone else experienced this too?

I've setup a SMB share and now I try to access it on a Windows client, which is... well... not working.
I tried that with two different clients. Windows 10 and Windows 7. Both are VirtualBox VMs.

In the firewall logs I can clearly see that the clients try to connect on port 80 instead of 445.
I've tried to connect via hostname or IP address. Same behavior.

Then I've found this https://serverfault.com/a/620383
But it is already configured like this...

Mounting a SMB share from my Synology NAS on these clients works just fine. o_O

I can successfully ping the target machine from my Debian host and also from the Windows VMs.
I have no idea...
Are you trying to connect via file explorer at \\IP address? Did you create a user?

vzbptbcs

Dabbler
I've figured it out.
I've used NFS before, where the path was IP\mnt\pool\share.
I tried to do the same with SMB but the correct path should be IP\share here.
Thought I've tried this already.

At least it is working now.
In the next days I have to figure out and understand permissions and ACLs. This is still very challenging to me.
...but the thread you linked in your signature seems promising. :wink: