Attachments

• Jail.png
    Jail.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 184

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
remove the static IPv4 address
enable DHCP
change default vnet interface from "auto" to the one your NAS uses to connect to the LAN or "bridge0" if that exists
select "vnet0:..." in the IPv4 interface setting

That should do it. If not we need to do some bridge magic to make the jail and the Windows VM play nicely together.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
P.S. Use your Mac's terminal and connect to your NAS via SSH. The "shell" inside the UI is broken. And we need the terminal later, anyway.

Bureaua

Explorer
remove the static IPv4 address
enable DHCP
change default vnet interface from "auto" to the one your NAS uses to connect to the LAN or "bridge0" if that exists
select "vnet0:..." in the IPv4 interface setting

That should do it. If not we need to do some bridge magic to make the jail and the Windows VM play nicely together.
Patrick--did all that and Im still getting DHCP not running in the jail

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Ok. See you tomorrow then :wink: Meanwhile you could enable and configure the SSH service for the NAS itself (permit root login with password) - it's under "Services".
And then provide the output of these two commands:

ifconfig -a
iocage get all <jailname>

Bedtime for me ...

Bureaua

Explorer
Ok. See you tomorrow then :wink: Meanwhile you could enable and configure the SSH service for the NAS itself (permit root login with password) - it's under "Services".

ifconfig -a

Bedtime for me ...
Many Thanks--Appreciate your time

Bureaua

Explorer

ifconfig -a

Bedtime for me ...
Patrick-- attached is the output

Attachments

• ifconfig -a.png
    ifconfig -a.png
    267.4 KB · Views: 170
  • iocage get all.png
    iocage get all.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 165

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
That is only fractions. You must open the Mac Terminal.app, type ssh root@<your NAS IP>, confirm with "yes" once, the give your password. And then use that command line instead of the one in the UI.

Then you can copy&paste text instead of pictures.

Bureaua

Explorer
That is only fractions. You must open the Mac Terminal.app, type ssh root@<your NAS IP>, confirm with "yes" once, the give your password. And then use that command line instead of the one in the UI.

Then you can copy&paste text instead of pictures.
Ok--I will do it tonight. :) Have a nice evening and thanks again

Bureaua

Explorer
I have been fighting for 3 hours with my Mac Terminal. ssh root@192.168.0.154 works
Im then prompted to enter the password
I always get : access denied, try again. This is going bad to worse..

Attachments

• Mac Terminal.txt
    804 bytes · Views: 151

Bureaua

Explorer
Ok--I will do it tonight. :) Have a nice evening and thanks again
Patrick-I managed to SSH using my Mac terminal by using my user name. I could not do it at the root.
ssh root@192.168.0.154 ask for the password but would not accept it?? Therefore I did the following
ssh bureaua@192.168.0.154 and it accepted the password. I can guarantee the password at the root is in place and I entered all right, but would not accept it ?? I really don't know why.
in the accounts/Users I have the following:
username: root
UID 0
Builtin yes
Full Name: root
Shell/usr/local/bin/zsh
Password Disabled: false
Lock User: false
Microsoft Account: false
Samba Authentification: false.

The 2 files attached were obtained from my Mac terminal by running the commands you gave me ifconfig -a and iocage get all
I ran those commands when I was logged as my user name bureaua

Attachments

• ifconfig -a.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 194
  • iocage get all.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 179

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Hi!

That's great. Sorry about the wasted hours. I'll look into the files later today and try to figure out what's wrong with your network connection for the jail. As for the root login, the deciding hint was hidden in this comment of mine:
See you tomorrow then :wink: Meanwhile you could enable and configure the SSH service for the NAS itself (permit root login with password) - it's under "Services".

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-08 um 16.13.02.png

But now that you have another user to logon, you don't need to change that setting. We can go the next step with the private/public key pair and set up a more secure way of logging in as root.

You can find instructions on how to generate a key pair here:

Then in the section Importing your SSH key simply ignore all the stuff about the Joyent portal. Instead open up the menu "Accounts -> Users" on your NAS and edit the "root" user. Then paste the public key that you copied to the clipboard with that pbcopy command in the instructions into the corresponding field of the root account. Save - done.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-08 um 16.20.17.png

You should now be able to ssh root@192.168.0.154 without a password but still reasonably secure for a system on an isolated private network. Never hand out that private key!

Bureaua

Explorer
Hi!

That's great. Sorry about the wasted hours. I'll look into the files later today and try to figure out what's wrong with your network connection for the jail. As for the root login, the deciding hint was hidden in this comment of mine:

View attachment 43260

But now that you have another user to logon, you don't need to change that setting. We can go the next step with the private/public key pair and set up a more secure way of logging in as root.

Then in the section Importing your SSH key simply ignore all the stuff about the Joyent portal. Instead open up the menu "Accounts -> Users" on your NAS and edit the "root" user. Then paste the public key that you copied to the clipboard with that pbcopy command in the instructions into the corresponding field of the root account. Save - done.

View attachment 43262

You should now be able to ssh root@192.168.0.154 without a password but still reasonably secure for a system on an isolated private network. Never hand out that private key!
Excellent Thank you - I will do that

Bureaua

Explorer
Hi!

View attachment 43260

View attachment 43262

Private/Public key pair done and working ! :)

Bureaua

Explorer
Excellent Thank you - I will do that
Patrick,
I deleted the iocage dataset and re-created a new base jail. I re-booted the server and tried to run the jail using DHCP configuration. Im getting the same error. DHCP not running. Attached are 5 files

Jail creation from the shell
ifconfig -a from Mac terminal to the root
iocage get all from Mac Terminal to the root
Error message when I start the Jail
Jail configuration

Thank You very much for your time

Attachments

• ifconfig -a.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 200
  • iocage get all.txt
    3 KB · Views: 202
  • Jail create.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 237
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 12.36.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 12.36.53 PM.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 140
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 12.37.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 12.37.09 PM.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Hi!

How did you produce these text files? They contain a lot of unecessary gibberish that is hard to read. Simply select a piece of text in the terminal, type Cmd-C, then paste it into a "code" container here in the forum like this:
Code:
$ echo "this is something I did in the terminal"
this is something I did in the terminal
$ ls
Applications            Hacking                Nextcloud Privat        VirtualBox VMs
Desktop                Library                Pictures            bin
Documents            Movies                Privat
Downloads            Music                Public
Favorite            Nextcloud Firma            Virtual Machines.localized

Your jail still looks somewhat odd. First, 11.2 is a release way too old to use productively. You will not even be able to install packages in 11.2, anymore. Plus it doesn't have a name which is rather inconvenient.

So I suggest to start over.

Then:
Code:
iocage fetch
# pick 12.2-RELEASE

iocage create -b -r 12.2-RELEASE -n mycloud

Then let's configure this DHCP thingy correctly:
Code:
iocage set dhcp=on mycloud
iocage set bpf=on mycloud
iocage set vnet=on mycloud
iocage set nat=off mycloud
iocage set interfaces=vnet0:bridge0 mycloud

And fire up:
Code:
iocage start mycloud
iocage list
+-----+---------+-------+--------------+---------------+
| JID |  NAME   | STATE |   RELEASE    |      IP4      |
+=====+=========+=======+==============+===============+
| 1   | mycloud | up    | 12.2-RELEASE | DHCP          |

Good luck!

Last edited:

Bureaua

Explorer
Hi!

How did you produce these text files? They contain a lot of unecessary gibberish that is hard to read. Simply select a piece of text in the terminal, type Cmd-C, then past it into a "code" container here in the forum like this:
Code:
$ ls
Applications            Hacking                Nextcloud Privat        VirtualBox VMs

Your jail still looks somewhat odd. First, 11.2 is a release way too old to use productively. You will not even be able to install packages in 11.2, anymore. Plus it doesn't have a name which is rather inconvenient.

Then:
Code:
iocage fetch
# pick 12.2-RELEASE

Code:
iocage set interfaces=vnet0:bridge0 mycloud

And fire up:
Code:
iocage start mycloud
iocage list
| JID |  NAME   | STATE |   RELEASE    |      IP4      |
+=====+=========+=======+==============+===============+
| 1   | mycloud | up    | 12.2-RELEASE | DHCP          |

Good luck!
OK - I worked at it all day and I managed to get the jail up with a static ivp4 IP. DHCP does not work. then I enabled ssh on that jail and assign a password. However, I can't edit the ssd_config. it tells me I don't have permission? anyhow. Im learning and will start all over again with your instructions. Thanks for keeping me working hard :)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Static IP will do fine. We will need that later, anyway, when Nextcloud is up and running. Still a long way to go ... :wink:

OK, when the jail is already running you can SSH as root into your NAS and then use iocage console myjail. And presto - you have a shell inside your jail. With root permissions.

To enable SSH you probably found that you had to put something like sshd_enable="YES" into the file /etc/rc.conf or you used the sysrc command I mentioned earlier. That just does the same. You can use a text editor if you prefer.

If you cannot login as root to that jail it is for the same reason we found with your NAS - by default root login is prohibited. So you need to change that line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
Code:
Before:

# PermitRootLogin no

After:

PermitRootLogin yes

Pay attention to removing that '#' - that character means the rest of the line is just a comment. So the statement is actually never effective, but 'no' is the default, anyway. If you change that to 'yes', you need to remove that comment sign.

Then restart sshd: service sshd restart

You should then be able to log in to your jail with 'root' and the password you set with the passwd command.

Bureaua

Explorer
Static IP will do fine. We will need that later, anyway, when Nextcloud is up and running. Still a long way to go ... :wink:

OK, when the jail is already running you can SSH as root into your NAS and then use iocage console myjail. And presto - you have a shell inside your jail. With root permissions.

To enable SSH you probably found that you had to put something like sshd_enable="YES" into the file /etc/rc.conf or you used the sysrc command I mentioned earlier. That just does the same. You can use a text editor if you prefer.

If you cannot login as root to that jail it is for the same reason we found with your NAS - by default root login is prohibited. So you need to change that line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
Code:
Before:

# PermitRootLogin no

After:

PermitRootLogin yes

Pay attention to removing that '#' - that character means the rest of the line is just a comment. So the statement is actually never effective, but 'no' is the default, anyway. If you change that to 'yes', you need to remove that comment sign.

Then restart sshd: service sshd restart

You should then be able to log in to your jail with 'root' and the password you set with the passwd command.
I will get back to you when Im done with this part. Lot of work ahead of me :). thanks

Bureaua

Explorer
Hi!

How did you produce these text files? They contain a lot of unecessary gibberish that is hard to read. Simply select a piece of text in the terminal, type Cmd-C, then paste it into a "code" container here in the forum like this:
Code:
$ ls

Then:
Code:
iocage fetch
# pick 12.2-RELEASE

Code: