Win 10 virtual machine TrueNAS

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
.../mycloud/root/etc/ssh/sshd_config

Bureaua

Explorer
.../mycloud/root/etc/ssh/sshd_config

Very sorry for all the finger problems :(. attached is what I have in the file. No where is talks about Permission login

Attachments

• sshd_config.png
    sshd_config.png
    112.2 KB · Views: 164

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Scroll down until you find the line starting with "#PermitRootLogin" ...

Bureaua

Explorer
Scroll down until you find the line starting with "#PermitRootLogin" ...
Patrick--Ok I managed to edit the file. I can now login at the root of that jail using my Mac Terminal and the password. However, I tried to go back with the nano editor to make sure it saved the change I have made, and the editor indicates new file and no code at all to see? did it save it under new name?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you had not saved the change you could not login as root. Simple as that. Perhaps again a minor mistake at the complete pathname?

OK, now we get rid of that password authentication and then it's good for now for today, I guess. Need to check some basic network settings tomorrow and then you are ready to actually install software in the jail, yeah!

From the Mac terminal do this:
ssh-copy-id root@<jail-ip-address>
That should ask you for the password for the last time and use that connection to automatically install your SSH key. From a second terminal window you should then be able to use ssh without password ...

Bureaua

Explorer
If you had not saved the change you could not login as root. Simple as that. Perhaps again a minor mistake at the complete pathname?

OK, now we get rid of that password authentication and then it's good for now for today, I guess. Need to check some basic network settings tomorrow and then you are ready to actually install software in the jail, yeah!

That should ask you for the password for the last time and use that connection to automatically install your SSH key. From a second terminal window you should then be able to use ssh without password ...
Great. Talk to you tomorrow Thank You

Bureaua

Explorer

Patrick,
with respect to my homework, here is what I have accomplished:

-I Created a jail on a static IP
-I enabled SSH on that Jail
-I generated private/public key pair on my Mac
-I placed the public key in the root of the jail. I can now SSH root jail with my Mac terminal directly without a password
-I have my VM up and running

With respect to installing and enabling Nginx web server in the Jail, I have made a lot of research, but don't feel confident I can do the job without messing up. I would appreciate further guidance when you have a chance. I purchased a public domain for my cloud.

Thanks so much and have a good evening

Bureaua

Explorer
Great. Talk to you tomorrow Thank You

Patrick I have install nginx in mycloud jail but how do I view the front page

Dwdmdave

Cadet
I have a question related to the original issue. I can get windows 10 to install, when I get to the using virtio-win driver to create the drive i see it start to complete the install VNC kicks me out and says there is no VNC and connection failed. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Dwdmdave

Cadet
I'll check it out and let you know. I'm using virtio-win-0.1.208.iso so I assume it is even newer. Thank you.
That may have done the trick. I'm almost getting windows 10 to actually install! Thanks for the help. I'll post when it gets around to completing. Seems quite slow, but I'm pushing my luck using this hardware anyway.

Dwdmdave

Cadet
Sorry for the delay. Finally got it running and it is working as needed. I appreciate the help.