Will this work?

Supersonical

Dabbler
Hi!

My freenas turns 4 years soon and the hardware running it is almost 8 years old!
So i thought it´s time to uppgrade the hardware, another kick to change was also that it has started with the famouse "unscheled restarts" issues.

I´m planning to run it on on.
  1. Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X10SRL-F - Moderkort - ATX - LGA2011 v3
  2. CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 6-core 3.5 3.8GHz Six Core CPU
  3. RAM: Samsung 64 GB RDIMM ECC Reg DDR4-2400 RAM
Will be used to, run Docker, maybe 1 or 2 Win VM´s and in the future maybe plex (with a GPU to be added)
The motherboard already has 10x sata ports built in which is more than plenty for me right now.
What do you experts think about this? I´m far from any export on this matter and more like a noob! :p

Appricite any suggestion and tips i can get :)

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Xeon E5-1650 v3
If you can find a v4 (which is compatible with that socket), you might find the additional cost will pay back in power savings (and heat and fan noise too).

plex (with a GPU to be added)
I think the FreeBSD version of plex still doesn't (and maybe won't) support discrete GPUs, only integrated Intel graphics acceleration (which I think that socket family doesn't typically have).

Docker, maybe 1 or 2 Win VM´s
You may find you're a bit light on CPU grunt for all that too, particularly the Windows VMs.

Yorick

Wizard
I think the FreeBSD version of plex still doesn't (and maybe won't) support discrete GPUs, only integrated Intel graphics acceleration

Likely never will and yes, the only Xeon CPUs with integrated graphics are the entry level ones, E3-xxx5 and E-2xxxG

If Plex transcode is really a desired thing, and the Windows VMs as well, then maybe going Proxmox instead of FreeNAS is a better choice. It does support ZFS.

Yet another option is to forge ahead with FreeNAS, call Plex transcode a future maybe thing, and see where TrueNAS Scale is in a year or two.