Need motherboard and case recommendations

spierce7

Dabbler
I bought some parts several years ago that I intended to turn into a FreeNAS server, but ended up turning into a gaming rig / server. The rig ended up dying last year, of which I'm fairly certain it was the motherboard. I'm in need of storage options for my family again. Here's what I can salvage:

1. Processor: Xeon E5-1650 v3
2. 64 GB ECC Ram - 4X16GB DDR4-2400 VLP EUDIMM 1.2V CL17 - Part# CT4K16G4XFD824A
3. 4X 8TB Western Digital Red HDD - I want to run in Raid 6

I'm currently considering either buying a Synology DS918+, and selling my above processor and ram, or I could take my processor and ram, buy a new motherboard and case, and install FreeNAS.

I'd like some recommendations on which option I should choose above, and also some recommendations on case and motherboard that would go well with my above setup.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I want to run in Raid 6
That would be RAIDz2 in terms of ZFS, the file system of FreeNAS.

It depends on what you want to accomplish, but the system (processor and RAM) that you have are probably more capable than what you must have (minimum) for FreeNAS, but we need some guidance about what capabilities you desire.

Personally, I would say ZFS is the better option.

spierce7

Dabbler
but we need some guidance about what capabilities you desire.

I'm looking to create a reliable storage option for my entire family. It will mostly be used to store images and videos. I'd also like the ability to give the rest of my family logins so that they can store files via the internet as well.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I'd also like the ability to give the rest of my family logins so that they can store files via the internet as well.

Attach any NAS to the internet? For users whose browsing, etc. habits you cannot control?

You are a braver man than I.

Matt Honans article should be required reading for anyone who wants to put their data at risk like that.

Call me paranoid, but I'd suggest that kind of access is best served by a provider like AWS, iCloud, etc. Treat the online stuff as a burner, store the original information on your FreeNAS. Download new submissions and store them on the NAS as needed. But I would never make my NAS reachable by "random" folk from the internet. That just invites trouble.

The closest I could see myself coming to that is a backup FreeNAS somewhere to accept Snapshots from the primary. Even then, we'd be talking passwordless SSHD or similar VPN systems to keep the data, server, etc. secure. I.e. not something that usually lends itself to regular internet users.

Last edited:

spierce7

Dabbler
But I would never make my NAS reachable by "random" folk from the internet.

The goal would just be to allow access to my mother, my dad, brother, etc. Not random people. I understand that by allowing access to anything on the internet, opens it up to a new level of attack, but I'm assuming I could adequately password protect things etc?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'd also like the ability to give the rest of my family logins so that they can store files via the internet as well.
That is a dangerous thing because the criminal element on the internet will be constantly attacking the NAS. If you want to provide your own internet connected storage, it would be the best idea to have a separate device for that. Keep your private, internal storage on one device and the internet connected storage on another. The internet available storage would be in a separate portion of the network called a DMZ while the NAS would be in the private network.
It is just a matter of safety for your network because if they can breach the internet connected system and it is on the same network with the rest of your home systems, not only do they gain access to everything on your NAS, they can use it as a point of presence to access all the other systems on your network.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I wouldn't ever rely on something as simple as a password to protect data or access to a share. Even 2-factor authentication has been successfully hacked. But never mind "just" the credentials themselves... issues with authentication, etc. have been uncovered over the years.

What might be an annoyance on a relatively protected home network (like the SSH flaw that another user reported here in Ubuntu) becomes potentially deadly to your data once the server is permanently attached to the internet.

Hence, I'd rather not make the NAS reachable at all, regardless of brand. Have someone else host a copy and be done with it. But live with the reality that anything hosted on the internet is potentially at risk of getting hacked, published, used, etc.

Another option: send your family copies of the data via re-usable flash drives. Let them decide what they want to keep and send you their data back at their leisure.

spierce7

Dabbler
Another option: send your family copies of the data via re-usable flash drives. Let them decide what they want to keep and send you their data back at their leisure.

That's really inconvenient :P I'll work something else out though.

Ok, so I won't host the data online. I need still need help choosing a case and motherboard.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I'm very happy with my Q26 case but it's unlikely to be available anymore. I'd go with a 6-drive case at minimum, so something like this 4U Supermicro case could be a good choice. However, I'd also review the recommended hardware list as well as the build reports on this forum (usually in the "Will it freeNAS" sub-forum). Much of this comes down to personal preference - I am a big believer in good air flow and low noise.

I'm not familiar with processor / motherboard pairings, but have you seen this page regarding the various flavors of Supermicro motherboards? That might be a good place to start.