Motherboard Recommendations (2018) For intel i3 8100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prethpal

Cadet
Hi guys i have already finalize the specs of my FreeNas Build. I really need motherboard recommendations for this CPU.

Below are the specs

CPU - i3 8100
Hardisk - Seagate Ironwolf 4tb x4 = 16tb / Raidz2 = 8tb
RAM - 16 Gb ECC memory
Case - node 804
Power Supply - 500w

I really need a motherboard recommendation for this above CPU. Its abit hard to find supermicro or asrock rack motherboard here in Malaysia, i would prefer some normal motherboard recommendation but if you still advice me to stick with supermicro or asrock rack motherboard then i will try my level best to find it. Thanks

KrisBee

Wizard
A quick look at the forum "hardware recommendation" docs, and relevant posts. will tell you that few people are going to recommend anything other than proper server grade ECC supporting m/boards.

Prethpal

Cadet
A quick look at the forum "hardware recommendation" docs, and relevant posts. will tell you that few people are going to recommend anything other than proper server grade ECC supporting m/boards.

I Looked at all the recommendation guidelines and most of it is outdated.. I need a motherboard recommendation that will support i3 8100 cpu.. its a very good cpu for the price and specs it provides.

KrisBee

Wizard
Are you still planning, or have you purchased the hardware you listed? Just adjust the recommendations to 1151 generation m/boards, e.g supermicro X11 series, there are several forum post about this.

Evertb1

Guru
CPU - i3 8100
The i-8300 is launched on Q4 2017. So there is a more then fair change the Supermicro FCLGA1151 series will support it by now. Supermicro lists the 8th generation i3 CPU series as supported. I have used the I3 of a previous generation on an X10 Supermicro motherboard without any problem.

Last edited:
FCLGA1151

Careful that 8th Gen CPUs despite being 1151 won't work on 1151 boards for 6/7Th gen CPUs, the i3 8100 is supported on Supermicro X11 boards but only on those based on the C24X chipset, it won't work on C23X based boards, like the very commonly used X11SSM-F

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I Looked at all the recommendation guidelines and most of it is outdated.. I need a motherboard recommendation that will support i3 8100 cpu.. its a very good cpu for the price and specs it provides.
I was going to say it was not outdated, but I'm wrong. Supermicro FINALLY has C24x server boards! They don't seem to be consistently stocked yet, though.

Supermicro FINALLY has C24x server boards! They don't seem to be consistently stocked yet, though.

Yeah, but not seeing a model similar to the great X11SSM, there's the X11SCM with 2 x M.2 sockets but only one PCIe slot and only 6 SATA ports, then there's the X11SCL with 3 PCIe slots, one M.2 socket, but still 6 SATA ports, it's a shame that at least for now there's no direct replacement for the X11SSM with the 4 PCIe slots and 8 SATA ports, more flexible.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The go-to model is going to be the X11SCH-F. The disadvantage is that it trades the PCIe x4 slots for two M.2 slots, but it's a minor thing that probably makes sense for a lot of people. It still leaves the processor lanes for SAS and 10GbE.

The X11SCM-F is an odd one. It's just a cut-down X11SCM-LN8F. I'm not sure who needs eight GbE NICs these days, but it seems like an oddly specific niche to target.

LimeCrusher

Explorer
The go-to model is going to be the X11SCH-F. The disadvantage is that it trades the PCIe x4 slots for two M.2 slots, but it's a minor thing that probably makes sense for a lot of people. It still leaves the processor lanes for SAS and 10GbE.
I was extremely confused to read two M.2 slots. But yes, the 10th point of the "key features" section says:
2x M.2 NGFF connectors
M.2 Interface: PCI-E 3.0 x4
Form Factor: 2280, 22110
Key: M-Key
Double Height Connector

Meanwhile, the "expansion slots" section says:
M.2:
  • M.2 Interface: PCI-E 3.0 x4
  • Form Factor: 2280, 22110
  • Key: M-Key
  • Double Height Connector
Like there was only one M.2 slot! I can see a M.2 slot on the board picture, I would guess the second one might be ... on the other side of the board?
Confusing. Can anybody confirm this?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think it's a double-tall connector with two slots.

LimeCrusher

Explorer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.