Will this used computer work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Keep a KB/M hooked up to it while you're getting it rolling so you can check to see if it's having kernel panics, but I wouldn't sweat terribly until you set up a static IP (against an Intel NIC, if possible) and replace the RAM with ECC.

demouser

Dabbler
That's what I plan to do. I'll poke around a little bit checking things until the proper parts arrive.
I have a spare monitor and KB connected. When my old blind server lost connectivity, I was up a creek. That's why I chose something with video.
BTW, I'm very happy at how quiet the ML110 is, (except of course during fan blowout at startup, which I'll leave on for now).

demouser

Dabbler
New drives, ECC, NIC installed last night. Everything is up and running. Now to finish reading the manual. Maybe I'm missing something, but configuring automated backups is not intuitively obvious.
FreeNAS appears to be an IT geek's dream and I have lots to learn. Reminds me of the ex-military guys I work with who can tell hilarious (to them) stories using mostly 3 and 4 letter acronyms.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
configuring automated backups
Of the clients? You'll need something beyond FreeNAS to do that.

Of the server? You can use rsync with generic devices or ZFS replication with other ZFS-enabled servers.

demouser

Dabbler
I need automated backups of up to 5 client computers. I thought that was within the capabilities of FreeNAS. If not, any recommendations?

Sakuru

Guru
  • I think if you have Pro or higher of Windows you can use Windows Backup to SMB shares.
  • Lots of people here use CrashPlan. People do have issues with the FreeNAS plugin though.
  • Duplicati should work.
  • You can remap folders to SMB shares. That way the data always lives on the NAS, even though the users don't know that. That's what we do here. We have ~450 computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.