Will moving iocage from HDD Sata to NVME SSD Sata improve nextcloud speed?

cdog89

Explorer
Hi: I've been thinking about moving the iocage to a 4X NVME expansion card in RZ1 configuration. I expect read/write to go from 2GBs / 1GBs currently up to 15GBs / 5GBs. My current pool is not that slow (6X RZ2). Does anyone have actual experience moving to a similar HW configuration and what were any performance improvements to jailed apps?

Thanks!

If your files and media are still stored on spinning rust HDDs, I don't know if you'll notice much difference.

As for the application itself, I'd assume once you fire up a Nextcloud jail, the PHP and webserver components remain in RAM, anyways.

Someone who uses Nextcloud might be able to offer their personal observation.

cdog89

Explorer
If your files and media are still stored on spinning rust HDDs, I don't know if you'll notice much difference.

As for the application itself, I'd assume once you fire up a Nextcloud jail, the PHP and webserver components remain in RAM, anyways.

Someone who uses Nextcloud might be able to offer their personal observation.
Thanks winnielinnie. I actually figured that might be the case. My nextcloud server is actually pretty snappy already. I don't want to break something that works. Appreciate your insight!

victort

Guru
Thanks winnielinnie. I actually figured that might be the case. My nextcloud server is actually pretty snappy already. I don't want to break something that works. Appreciate your insight!
Just going to share an lol story.

When I got started with TrueNAS, it was with two Seagate external 8TB hard drives plugged into the usb. Terrible terrible Nextcloud experience. I sold them and bought two internal spinning drives (wish I’d have know about shucking at the time) and I’ve been running with 15 or so Nextcloud users just fine. Actually two Nextcloud instances…

I do have 64 gb ram as well so…

And I’m running 10+ other jails with various services and users.

cdog89

Explorer
Just going to share an lol story.

When I got started with TrueNAS, it was with two Seagate external 8TB hard drives plugged into the usb. Terrible terrible Nextcloud experience. I sold them and bought two internal spinning drives (wish I’d have know about shucking at the time) and I’ve been running with 15 or so Nextcloud users just fine. Actually two Nextcloud instances…

I do have 64 gb ram as well so…

And I’m running 10+ other jails with various services and user

Oh gosh, I've been there so many times...I've made so many what turned out to be a mistakes when it comes to hardware setups. The worst is having to move data from one drive to another if they are raided. Boot drives, I usually just image the entire thing over. TrueNAS makes it easier now that I've learned about replication. Just need to remember that the replicated pool is read-only! I made that mistake the first time I did that.

What I think I will do is upgrade the CPU to a Ryzen 5950X which will be about 2.2X faster and install the max of 128GB of RAM. But I'll leave the iocage location where it is.

Thanks victort. Hope you're having a great weekend!