Looking for ways to improve my Supermicro based lab FreeNAS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexlevel

Cadet
Greetings Experts,

I have been lightly dabbling into learning how to implement NAS capabilities into my home lab environment for the last few months or so. I've been familiarizing myself with FreeNAS to this end and stood up my first iteration of FreeNAS about two and a half years ago for simple tasks like backup storage, Plex, and Minecraft (for my kids). It's been a great learning tool and has since expanded roles to providing NFS and SMB storage repositories for my lab XenServers and ESXi servers, as well as ISO storage repository for the same.

Prior to upgrading/expanding the local storage of my main XenServer, I attempted to use FreeNAS as a remote SR for some of my VM's but was unable to fully test how it performed in that capacity due to a hardware failure that forced me to replace my aged Dell R900 (which also led to the expansion of the local storage for the XenServer). However, as many of us newer users discover, FreeNAS does not perform as fast as we come in expecting it to. This prompted me to undertake a bit of a "refresh" of my FreeNAS build to allow me to throw more hardware resources at it to help improve its performance.

After reading through some of the posts and blogs on SLOG, ZIL, L2ARC, etc., I came to the conclusion that there would likely be two ways that I could improve read/write performance:
  • Add more RAM
  • Add a separate flash based SLOG
Presently my setup is as follows (also listed in my signature):
===========================================
FreeNAS 11 latest as of 8/27/2017
Supermicro 4U 24x 3.5" SAS2 Storage Array | X8DAH+-F Mobo
BPN-SAS2-846EL1 Backplane | LSI SAS9211-8i (both ports connected to 7&8 on backplane)
Xeon L5630 @ 2.13GHz | 36GB Reg ECC RAM (soon to be doubled on both as mobo is dual-socket)
HP Mellanox 10Gbps Connectx-2 Single Port (direct connect to XenServer) | 2x 74GB SAS Raid1 for OS
Intel Quad 1gbps nic for direct network connection to other machines
6x 4TB sata RaidZ2 | 3x 750GB sata RaidZ1 | 2x 1TB + 4x 500GB sata Raid10
5x 147GB SAS RaidZ1 | 2x 74GB SAS Spares for OS

...and recently added but not yet properly configured:
MyDigitalSSD BPX 80mm (2280) M.2 PCI Express 3.0 x4 (PCIe Gen3 x4) NVMe MLC SSD (120GB)
Mailiya M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter - Support M.2 PCIe 2280, 2260, 2242, 2230

I know that I am being long-winded but based upon my observations in following other similar posts over the last couple of years, the community seems to favor more information and detail over not enough. So please humor me a little further.

In order to expand the system memory I have to also add a second processor, which I intend to do over the next few days. This will bring me up to 72GB of RAM and 8C of Xeon.

Here is what I want to know: seeing that this is a purely lab centric machine, what other considerations can I make to help speed it up in the read/write area? More importantly, and seemingly more challenging, read.

I "know" (read as, anticipate) from the blog posts,

http://www.freenas.org/blog/zfs-zil-and-slog-demystified/
and
https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/o-slog-not-slog-best-configure-zfs-intent-log/

that implementing the NVMe as a separate SLOG should go a long way in increasing the write speeds. Reads are another beast altogether. I have a number of ideas floating in my head but have no real certainty as to whether my thinking is logical or has a shot at producing the desired outcome for my end-state. I know that some of this involves risk but please keep in mind that this is purely a lab machine with multiple backups of any data that I don't want to risk losing.

Here are my thoughts:
  • As previously mentioned, add another 36GB of memory to improve ARC
  • Also add another NVMe or SSD device as L2ARC
  • Reconfigure a new volume to have no local swap partition but place swap onto another separate flash/NVMe device? (spit-balling on this one as I don't know if it is even possible or what benefit if any it will provide besides reducing the number of writes to disk needed for the same data) Maybe flash-based L2ARC removes need for swap space on mechanical HDD's?
  • Flash-based NVMe swap drive to support 72GB ram?
  • Add more drives to my main RaidZ2 volume (maybe another qty. 2-6 or more 4TB drives) and/or reconfigure them altogether into multiple RaidZ volumes that are then striped but no idea how to best accomplish this. I think that this is my main bottleneck and feel that I need more knowledge/understanding of how to properly utilize/setup vdevs to increase IOPS for my VM use-case. For instance, create qty. 6 mirrored vdevs and then stripe those for 6 drives worth of read/write performance which would also reduce rebuild stress on overall pool in case of a drive failure?
  • Which prompts me to think...I could add 4 more 4TB drives, create 5 mirror vdevs and then stripe those to get the performance of 5 drives and have 5 drives worth of redundancy? (I know...just re-read this...it's extremely late and I am running on fumes now, but I'll leave it so you can laugh at my expense.)
From there, I am out of ideas and very open to suggestions. My goals for this lab machine are these:
  • I would like to be able to generate +500MBps of read throughput across my 10ge interface to my XenServer to be able to run a dozen or so storage heavy VM's off of my remote storage repositories for lab exercises (NetScaler MAS, SQL, Exchange, Docker, ADC's, NFV, etc.) and don't want my virtual instances to cry about the SR's performance.
  • I chose 500MBps because I have two machines with a single Samsung SSD in the one, and a pair of striped Samsung SSD in the other that are each able to clock ~500MBps of read throughput. The single SSD is obviously more high end than the striped pair.
  • Would like to figure out a way to have high read/write throughput for VM's, and be able to withstand at least 2 drive failures in the pool.
  • Continue running Plex from it and reduce the latency/buffering through the app which doesn't exist playing the .mkv file directly from disk, as my family and I have grown quite fond of it to the point of purchasing a Plex pass recently.
  • Utilize more of the FreeNAS services for hosting SNMP server, TFTP, WebDAV, etc. within my lab
  • Prove out for clients that opensource solutions can be a viable option for creating robust lab environments on a limited budget, while creating an archetype model for accomplishing it.
Any thoughts, comments, help, questions, observations, are greatly appreciated in advance.

Last edited:
VMs need IOPS. Databases need IOPS. Exchange needs IOPS. RAIDZn does not provide IOPS.

Spindles - a stripe of mirrors - provide IOPS. SSDs provide IOPS. A stripe of mirrored SSDs provides a massive number of IOPS.

I doubt adding a second processor will materially improve performance. You might be better off with a single faster processor than an extra L5630 @ 2.13GHz. Though, given the age of the X8 platform, I kinda hate to spend any more money there. (Your Plex buffering problems are likely CPU-related if you're doing any transcoding. Plex wants 2,000 PassMark per HD stream and your L5630 only has 4,420 total. Move your Plex install to your XenServer host so it uses that CPU then NFS mount your media from FreeNAS. That solves your Plex problem without spending money on CPU.)

Adding RAM might improve performance but you really need to dig deep into your existing ARC stats before considering that route. Adding an NVMe SLOG probably won't improve performance as much as adding spindles or SSDs. At least it didn't in our case.

We keep our VMs on SSDs. Even using relatively low-performing SSDs, we saw responsiveness greatly improve over a striped mirror of conventional drives. We keep our bulk data on conventional drives in a RAIDZ configuration.

If I were you, I'd take a good look at the VDEV and pool configurations before spending a dime. Find out where your bottlenecks are and what your use case requires. I'm afraid the solution will be reconfiguring your pools and not throwing money at the problem.

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited:

nexlevel

Cadet
VMs need IOPS. Databases need IOPS. Exchange needs IOPS. RAIDZn does not provide IOPS.

Spindles - a stripe of mirrors - provide IOPS. SSDs provide IOPS. A stripe of mirrored SSDs provides a massive number of IOPS.

I'm doubt adding a second processor will materially improve performance. You might be better off with a single faster processor than an extra L5630 @ 2.13GHz. Though, given the age of the X8 platform, I kinda hate to spend any more money there. (Though your Plex buffering problems are likely CPU-related if you're doing any transcoding. Plex wants 2,000 PassMark per HD stream and your L5630 only has 4,420 total. Move your Plex install to your XenServer host so it uses that CPU then NFS mount your media from FreeNAS. That solves your Plex problem without spending money on CPU.)

Two of them should get me a little over 7000 according to that site, so that should make Plex a little happier. I also have a Core I5-3470 box laying around that I can allocate for Plex and see how that goes if needed. The addition of a 2nd processor in FreeNAS box is intended for the purpose of adding more memory to the 2nd socket's slots which can't be used unless a 2nd processor is populated.

Adding RAM might improve performance but you really need to dig deep into your existing ARC stats before considering that route. Adding an NVMe SLOG probably won't improve performance as much as adding spindles or SSDs. At least it didn't in our case.

We keep our VMs on SSDs. Even using relatively low-performing SSDs, we saw responsiveness greatly improve over a striped mirror of conventional drives. We keep our bulk data on conventional drives in a RAIDZ configuration.

If I were you, I'd take a good look at the VDEV and pool configurations before spending a dime. Find out where your bottlenecks are and what your use case requires. I'm afraid the solution will be reconfiguring your pools and not throwing money at the problem.

Cheers,
Matt

Valid points. I suspected that the vdev reconfigure route would be option #1, but everything that I've been seeing these last couple of years says that FreeNAS is extremely RAM hungry. My ARC hovers around 67% without VM usage with 36GB of ram allocated. It seems to me that that could increase significantly as I add VM's that utilize a good deal of bulk storage and asynchronous read/writes. And I sort of get SLOG but it's still quite "sloggy" in my mind. A quick and dirty for me is that SLOG isn't the data, but a record/log of the data which tricks the host into believing that the data has been written? That doesn't exactly give me the warm-and-fuzzies though. I'd rather have the data actually written to disk, but faster.

And I am still curious about using a flash based write cache device that can speed the system up on top of vdev optimizations to the volume.

Stux

MVP
Data that is written to a SLOG is written. It’s just not stored on the pool yet.

An optimal pool write happens every 5 seconds. The SLOG write happens immediately, and then up to 5 seconds later the same data is written to the pool, and the data on the slog is no longer necessary.

If you crash before what was written to the slog is written to the pool, then it gets written to the pool at pool import/mount after the crash.

How this affects Vms is that once the data is stored *anywhere* they can move on, and they do.

nexlevel

Cadet
@Stux Thank you so much for the depth of information on your other posts. Linking them in your signature is quite thoughtful and is going a long way in helping those of us who are newer in the community with coming along and being able to realize what can be done with this amazing product. That makes SLOG make more sense now. So because pool writes happen every 5 seconds, data doesn't get to reside on SLOG long enough to require a larger partition than your aggregate NICs' throughput can demand on it. So for me, with a quad 1ge NIC and a 10ge NIC 10GB of SLOG should be ample space for my system. That would leave a lot of room on my pcie 120GB NVMe for doing a similar partitioning and use as you did for "Using a High Performance PCIe NVMe SSD for SLOG/L2ARC and Swap.": https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...n4f-esxi-freenas-aio.57116/page-4#post-403374

With all of that in mind I'll work on:
  • Re-configuring my primary volume
  • Add qty. 2 more 4TB drives to increase raw read IOPS
  • Move swap to separate flash NVMe drive
  • Adding SLOG and L2ARC because overkill may lead my little pet project NAS to perform as well as much more expensive systems and make lab work closer to real-world without needing real-world budgets
  • With the now qty. 8 spindles create 4 mirrors
  • Stripe the 4 mirrors into a new RAID10
  • Re-benchmark system

Stux

MVP
Sounds like a relatively good plan

Status
Not open for further replies.