will it Truenas 12 compatible with AS -2013S-C0R supermicro server

Hi, i planned to buy a supermicro server with the below specification to host Tureens 12
Please suggest will this compatible for Truenas software
AS -2013S-C0R - 2U single processor
CPU Naples 7251 DP/UP 8C/16T 2.1G 32M 34.1GB 120W 4094
RAM 16GB x 2
Storage 256 GB for OS
AOC-S3108L-h8iR

and how to check the compatibility of truenas with any of supermicro server?

Subash raja

jgreco

Resident Grinch
how to check the compatibility of truenas with any of supermicro server?

By working through the parts list and making sure all the component parts are compatible. Then seeing if your Supermicro reseller will do a test load onto the proposed hardware to check for any obvious errors. Then you cross your fingers and buy the thing.

If you want guaranteed compatibility, you can buy TrueNAS-compatible hardware directly from iXsystems.

AOC-S3108L-h8iR

This card, for example, is not compatible.

However, the mainboard on the AS-2013S-C0R is a Supermicro H11SSL-C, and that board has an LSI 3008 on it in IR mode. That can theoretically run IT firmware, but Supermicro doesn't like it if you do that to their onboard controllers. Or you can order an AOC-S3008L-L8i, which is a 3008-on-a-card and needs to be flashed to IT mode, but that's fully supported.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
However, the mainboard on the AS-2013S-C0R is a Supermicro H11SSL-C, and that board has an LSI 3008 on it in IR mode. That can theoretically run IT firmware, but Supermicro doesn't like it if you do that to their onboard controllers.
Wow, first I've heard of that one. They even had IT firmware published for the SAS2308 on the X10SL7-F, though, didn't they?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
They even had IT firmware published for the SAS2308 on the X10SL7-F, though, didn't they?

I don't think they did that right away. Generally, it seems like they resist unapproved changes to the mainboard embedded controllers. This might just be the front-line support guys. I dunno. RMA avoidance?

Ok I actually had a harder time finding a reference to this than I thought I would. I am virtually certain we saw some of these with the X10SL7 but for the life of me can't find it on the forum here. But there is this very apropos thread over at STH.

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...cro-onboard-lsi3008-from-ir-to-it-mode.19083/

Mar 16, 2018
Supermicro X11 or H11 onboard LSI 3008 are shipped with IR mode firmware ph.10. After few email exchange with Supermicro Support, here is the summary,
*its their official advisory that user can invalid their warranty if they want to flash the onboard LSI 3008 controller firmware to IT Mode.
*Supermicro also said the Chip does not support IT mode at all
*If user want to upgrade their onboard LSI firmware, it is best to RMA back to supermicro to do so.

So I don't think I am mistaken. I think we all realize that if you can crossflash a PERC H710 into IT mode, which isn't even supposed to run that, then crossflashing a 3008 should be much easier by comparison.

By working through the parts list and making sure all the component parts are compatible. Then seeing if your Supermicro reseller will do a test load onto the proposed hardware to check for any obvious errors. Then you cross your fingers and buy the thing.

If you want guaranteed compatibility, you can buy TrueNAS-compatible hardware directly from iXsystems.

This card, for example, is not compatible.

However, the mainboard on the AS-2013S-C0R is a Supermicro H11SSL-C, and that board has an LSI 3008 on it in IR mode. That can theoretically run IT firmware, but Supermicro doesn't like it if you do that to their onboard controllers. Or you can order an AOC-S3008L-L8i, which is a 3008-on-a-card and needs to be flashed to IT mode, but that's fully supported.
Thanks for the clarification, Could you also commend about AMC CPU Naples 7251 DP/UP 8C/16T 2.1G 32M 34.1GB 120W 4094 - will this fully compatible for Truenas?

Hi, Thanks for the comments, Could you commend about AMD CPU Naples 7251 DP/UP 8C/16T 2.1G 32M 34.1GB 120W 4094 - will this fully compatible for Truenas?

JohnK

Patron
Wow, first I've heard of that one. They even had IT firmware published for the SAS2308 on the X10SL7-F, though, didn't they?
Many years ago there was a post on the forum how to flush the X10SL7-F. I downloaded that IT firmware from Supermicros FTP site and used that board for years as my main FreeNas/ESXI server