Will it FreeNAS? :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

after researching and reading a lot here in the forums and some pretty decent ppt-files, I have come to the conclusion that it is time for my first Freenas build. Currently I own a Qnap TS-870Pro, that has to leave now.
Due to the fact that I have some hardware lying around, I wanted to build this:

Asrock x99M Fatality Killer (have it already) -> (for the case it had to be m-atx with 10 Sata-slots. Afaik you can only get these from ASrock)
Attention!!! - > beware of old bios versions (prior 3.0) if you want to use a v4 Xeon! Update only possible with v3 Xeon or older i7 (5xxx).

Xeon E5-2620v4 (have it already)

Arctic Cooling i31 CO (continous operation)

32GB Sata DOM for Freenas itself (69€ @ Amazon)

64GB Crucial 2133 DDR4 Registered ECC Ram (have it already)

8x6TB HGST NAS HDD (are working in the Qnap right now)

250GB Crucial SSD MX300 for dockers and theri data (Plex, Sabnzbd, Sonarr...)

RaidZ2 planned (RaidZ3 seems a bit tooo paranoic)

Fractal Design Node 804 with pretty decent Noctua Cooling (4x 100mm, 2x 120mm) will be the case

Thermaltake Cologne 730w power supply (80+ Bronze - no more money for a better one) :)

After reading a lot about having Ram and even more Ram, 64GB should be enough I hope.
I know that the X99M is not the best mobo to use, but I have it here and I do not want to invest in a new one.
ECC should be supported, because I am going to use a Xeon processor.

Main use case is Plex incl. 4k transcoding, Sonarr, SabNzbd. A little bit of fileserving and some photo-stuff (storage and webserving).
Do you think that I can go with this build (except from the mobo :))?

Thanks a lot and have a nice day!

Cheers,

Dunhillsmoker

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Asrock x99M (have it already)
Due to the lack of model number for your board (you have given the chipset only), I checked the specs
for the Extreme 4 model and it mentioned ECC RDIMM RAM on the approved list. Since you now own
the board and the RAM, go ahead and give it a try with that CPU and see if it's compatible. We frown
on the use of desktop boards for server use but hey... as long as you know going in that it's use is less
than ideal. Backup your data in case things go bad and have fun ;)

RodyMcAmp

Contributor
you might verify that the DOM can be used on that board, I don't know much about them but I think they need to get power from a SATA port. on supermicro boards, these ports are usually yellow.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
you might verify that the DOM can be used on that board, I don't know much about them but I think they need to get power from a SATA port. on supermicro boards, these ports are usually yellow.
They can get power externally from a molex plug via an adapter . My Supermicro brand DOM came with one but I don't know about other brands. Link is for reference only due to the ridiculous price.

https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-C...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=637R6DQB4JRTGD7QT3E2

Should work, because that cable mentioned came with the DOM. (DeLock, 32GB) See picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Today I started to put all the things together.
Build went well, except from the f***ing board being so old that it has a very old bios (version 1.6). And the new processor (E5-2620v4) does not work with this bios.
Since there is stil no possibility to update a bios without a CPU or with a CPU that is not supported properly, I had to buy an old version v3 Xeon from Ebay to use it to update the bios and to then sell it again. Bummer.
So, be warned if you buy this particular board, it has to have bios version 3.0 or 3.1 to support the newest CPUs. Otherwise you will need a v3 Xeon or i7 (5xxx) to update the bios and then you can use the Xeon v4.
So, i´ll have to wait for the guy from DHL ...

Cheers,

Dunhillsmoker

Status
Not open for further replies.