Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a QNAP TVS-473, which is a pretty powerful device. Specs are:

CPU: AMD R-Series RX-421BD quad-core 2.1 GHz processor, burst up to 3.4 GHz
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 (4 x 16GB)
4 disk bays: WD Red 4TB
LAN: 4 x Gigabit RJ45 LAN ports
M.2 SSD Slot

While the QTS software is feature-rich, every once in a while I have an issue/bug. Since the software is closed-source, investigating the issue is tough, and QNAP support is a serious problem (usually require you to blow something precious away and start from scratch, rude/bad people skills, slow, etc.).

My experience with open source is that I get more ready responses when I have a problem and stuff is better documented. ANYWAY what do you think about this system?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Will that system boot from a standard device? Does it have a standard BIOS or UEFI?

Nick2253

Wizard
It should be possible to install FreeNAS on it. I'm not sure exactly what the underlying hardware is on it, though, so I wouldn't know where to start with getting FreeNAS working. It may take quite a bit of tweaking, and you'll probably be blazing your own trail here.

I have two immediate concerns with the hardware: (1) the system may not have ECC memory. You should make sure that the risks of running non-ECC memory are acceptable to you if this is the case. And (2) the NICs are not Intel. You may have some weird network issues, mainly because drivers for non-Intel NICs in FreeBSD can be spotty.

angryant

Cadet
Pretty late answer but nevertheless... I successfully run FreeNAS in QNAP TVS-473 but I had to add "set kFreeBSD.kern.smp.disabled=1" to grub's boot options otherwise it panics.

Status
Not open for further replies.