Refurbish old i7-2600 PC for TrueNAS to replace QNAP TS-451

alirezaayat

Cadet
Hi everyone, I am new to TrueNAS. I used a NETGEAR 2 bay 10 years ago (still have it for some backups) and since 7 years ago a QNAP TS-451 (with 4 WDRed4TB disks) that served me well, until I've been attacked by 2 ransomware attack, and lost more that I would have liked. It's time that I learn to properly setup and use my NAS and increase security.

First step: Local only NAS for Photos, Videos and documents. Videos are streamed to the PCs and TV on the local network. + monthly backup process on an external disk

(Second step: I plan to use the NAS for streaming to the cloud to replace, by this summer, my Google Photos and Drive services, meaning that I would like to the NAS to be synced to my Android phone's Photos and Videos. I want to have the NAS synced with another NAS through internet in another location)

In the QNAP I have 1 disk dead since last week, and I more will die soon (all purchased 7 years ago)

I managed to save some data lost due to ransomware on the QNAP, from backup up in Google Drive & Photos and on external disks). I just ordered 5 new Seagate Ironwolf disks, but I don't plan to put those in the QNAP but 4 for the for the TrueNAS built and 1 in my desktop to backup everything that I have left, in 1 new BKP disk until the TrueNAS is functional.

Here are the parts I plan to use:

_________Current Parts
- CPU : Intel Core i7-2600 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
- CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99
- Motherboard:Asus P8Z68-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
- Memory: 16 GB - ADATA XPG V1.0 8 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 Memory
- Storage (Currently for Windows, Can be used for TrueNAS OS): SanDisk SSD PLUS 480 GB
- Power Supply: Silverstone Strider 750 W 80+ Silver Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

_________NEW:
4 Seagate Ironwolf 8TB (purchased, will arrive soon)

_________I guess i don't need the following:
- Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB AERO ITX Video Card
- Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 GB (laying around)
- Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
- Storage (Currently for my backups, I think I will keep that in my new daily PC built): Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal

I have searched for similar threads and read the minimum requirements for TrueNAS. I think the setup can TrueNAS, but I am not sure well or poorly.

Questions for first step:
- I know the CPU and MB are not ECC, but is there a real risk with these CPU and RAMs? While those were great when I purchased them, they are very old (7 years at least)
- Can this setup happily TrueNAS or are there any parts that I should replace by newer/different parts?
- I don't think it's necessary, but is there any point to add the GPU when the MB has an integrated one? Example, for Video Streaming...
- Is there a TrueNAS youtube channel you would recommend to ramp up NAS skills from ZERO to good skills

Mega THANKS to everyone in this forum and for TrueNAS to exist. I am super excited to start this journey. (my IT skills have not been updated for too long)

Alireza

PS. I'll keep the QNAP as my secondary "toy" and testing device and ultimately as the backup of the TrueNAS.

alirezaayat

Cadet
New Disks arrived + New PC arrived

> The old one can now be transformed into a TrueNAS + Nextcloud server !

20220315_110206.jpg
20220315_110223.jpg