Will FreeNAS be compatible with ext4/btrfs/xfs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansem

Dabbler
Hi guys!
I saw what you did with FreeNAS 10, and I think that it's great!
But I was thinking about my poor homemade NAS :(
For what I need, a simple NAS and media center, the resources that ZFS needs are really too expensive.
My plan is to build a NAS with 2 Raid1, the first one of 4TB, the second one of 6 hopefully.
With such a configuration, for what I ran 16GB of RAM would be not enough, especially if I run plex!

So my question is: since FreeNAS is such a good OS for Indestructable NAS, there is some plan to make it available even for cheaper NAS with ext4/btrfs/xfs?

Last edited by a moderator:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Why not just use one of the dozens of other NAS software available already?

There are no plans to add support for other filesystems that I know of.

Ansem

Dabbler
Beacause I think that FreeNAS is by far the best and most supported. Even OMV is not that good in my opinion.
So add a support for just the most used FS would be great for a lot of people like me

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
FreeNAS is all about ZFS. I don't see what benefit there would be in creating more issues and complications.

Mlovelace

Guru
Beacause I think that FreeNAS is by far the best and most supported. Even OMV is not that good in my opinion.
So add a support for just the most used FS would be great for a lot of people like me
If you're wanting support for Linux file systems then you should be looking at Linux distros to build your NAS. ;)

maglin

Patron
Use a Linux distributions. FreeNAS is built on BSD for ZFS and is a test platform for TrueNAS. As such I don't think we'll see anything other than ZFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ansem

Dabbler
Use a Linux distributions. FreeNAS is built on BSD for ZFS and is a test platform for TrueNAS. As such I don't think we'll see anything other than ZFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sadly there isn't any Linux distributions that is equal to freenas in quality.
OMV is still far from freenas :(
Is FreeBSD incompatible with btrfs and other file systems?

Mlovelace

Guru
Sadly there isn't any Linux distributions that is equal to freenas in quality.
OMV is still far from freenas :(
Is FreeBSD incompatible with ext4,xfs and btrfs?
FreeBSD has ports you can install that will allow data transfer of some linux file systems. That being said, it is meant as a temporary solution to migrate data to a native Unix file system, such as ZFS or UFS. If you wish to run ext4, xfs or btrfs then you need to run a linux OS not BSD.

Ansem

Dabbler
Understood ^^ I though that freebsd was natively compatible with those FS :(
Can you tell my which other FS has FreeBSD other than ZFS? it's the first time that I hear about UFS

wblock

Documentation Engineer
FreeBSD's native filesystem is UFS. There is also a driver for the MS-DOS (FAT16/FAT32) filesystem, and ZFS was imported quite a few years ago.

ZFS is the foundation of FreeNAS. It takes advantage of the many things that ZFS does that other filesystems can't do.

In your situation, I would just try it. It might turn out that the RAM you have is adequate. If not, replace the motherboard and add RAM. It doesn't sound like you'd be happy with one of the non-ZFS NAS systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.