Is ZFS with non-ECC more likely to corrupt data than UFS or EXT4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexM

Cadet
Hi guys, I intend to build a FreeNAS using recommended hardware on this forum OR to just buy the FreeNAS Mini in the next 2-3 months. Meanwhile I have to use some kind of NAS in my home. Since my current system doesn't have ECC ram, I was wondering if for the time being: should I use ZFS with non-ECC (with the risks involved) OR to have a temporary UFS or EXT4/BTRFS Linux NAS until I get the money to buy build the ECC system? To break it down, is ZFS with non-ECC more likely to corrupt data than UFS or EXT4 with non-ECC ram?
Thanks.

Hyperion

Dabbler
It is really doubtful that your mem would corrupt your data.
Although as HHD gets larger, it may happen.
If you are thrashing your PC it may get corrupted.

AlexM

Cadet
Hi Hyperion, I'm talking about what cyberjock explained here: http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/ecc-vs-non-ecc-ram-and-zfs.15449/
It's not entirely clear to me if it would be better to use UFS or EXT4/Linux until I can build by ECC system. In other words, is the use of non-ECC ram more problematic with ZFS than with other FS's? I'm just trying to minimize the chances of something going wrong until I can get my ECC system ready. (I need to store my data somewhere in the meantime) :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
My opinion (emphasis on opinion):

If this is a short-term solution and if you test that memory properly, ZFS might still be the better option. In any case, make sure you have proper backups.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry, I'm locking this thread. This has been discussed PLENTY and there is no need to have another thread on this topic. Please search the forums if this topic interests you.

Status
Not open for further replies.