Why is a periodic snapshot task necessary for replication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spacemarine

Contributor
I noticed that replication also takes place if I do a manual snapshot in between the relgular replication task. So it seems to me, that replication should theoretically be able to work with manual snapshots alone.

So why is the GUI forcing me to make a periodic snapshot task before I'm able to start the replication? Is there any technical reason for that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Smith

Patron
It is periodic replication, so logically that is why periodic snapshot task is necessary.

I do not have the most recent FreeNAS; but I do not think one-time replication functionality has been added yet. You can do that from the command line.

Spacemarine

Contributor
It is periodic replication, so logically that is why periodic snapshot task is necessary.

This is not really true, the replication can also work aperiodically. I can set set the snapshot interval to 4 weeks and do a manual snapshot every other day when I feel like it and it always gets replicated instantly without my intervention. So there really is no need for "periodicity"

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This is not really true, the replication can also work aperiodically. I can set set the snapshot interval to 4 weeks and do a manual snapshot every other day when I feel like it and it always gets replicated instantly without my intervention. So there really is no need for "periodicity"

When you're designing a software system, it is often the case that you don't design for every possible situation. I imagine that the intent of the FreeNAS replication system is for periodic snapshots to be periodically replicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.